» 7th October: Charming play
Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

7th October: Charming play

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 7th October: Charming play

Post  Isabella Walham on Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 am

Bella nodded.

"Exactly - and they have not yet reached the point where they are steady, warm and comforting embers. It is very romantic, in a way."

She listened attentively to Estefania's explanations of the opera house in Lisbon, a topic she was quite interested in herself, then asked tenatively:

"Marcos Portugal? Is that the same as the composer who was in Italy before? Who wrote La Zaira?"

She hummed a few bars of the aria she knew from that opera, knowing that it was often easier to recognize a melody than a name.

Species : Lady
Number of posts : 116

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t2228-lady-isabella-walham#

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 am

"The very same one, yes. He had come from Italy in....I believe I was told in 1800." She was not exactly certain though, whether he remained in Portugal as of that moment, but if any of the family did choose to visit, she would most certainly have checked to be sure.

"Of course there are other notable performers and composers that you might also see, just as perhaps a few buildings of interest in composition and build.." She glanced at Torrington. "That you might have missed since last being there. " She studied the stage as if expecting the first performer to come to it any moment then when she became quite convinced that they had a little longer, she turned to Bella again.

"Where does your brother keep horses?" She asked, perhaps quite out of the blue, but she did remember his eagerness at obtaining new ones and thought that he might have a rather impressive herd here, in England.
Estefania Lopes d.Almeida
Ship's Cook

Species : Guerillera
Number of posts : 112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham on Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am

"Walham Court, mostly, on my father's stud", Isabella answered, confused by the sudden change of topic, but quite ready to indulge Estefania.

"Although he keeps a stable here in London as well. If you have no horse here, he certainly can find one for you in it - they are so much better than one from the public stables. Do you want to come riding with us in the morning sometime? The park is really quite nice then - although you probably will find it a bit cold?"

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t2228-lady-isabella-walham#

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Tue May 13, 2014 9:23 am

"I am sorry." Estefania said, noticing Isabella's confusion, her smile widening a little as the girl explained more about the horses, and places they were kept.

She still hurried to explain: "You are welcome to ask more of Portugal and of Spain and of operas of course. It was just a thought that crossed my mind... a bit of a memory of an old conversation that I shared with your brother, where he had more than once shown eagerness in the finding of good, quality horses." She smiled even brighter, a certain merriness in her eyes. "If it would not be a burden to you I would love to come riding in your company in the morning. I will make certain to wear something very warm to keep from the chill, have no fear! And the exercise, if only of riding, does warm a body some. And.." She blushed a little, embarrassed that there was such eagerness that she felt for it. "May I come to see the horses?"
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham on Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Isabella smiled back, sharing in Estefania's mirth at her brother's tendency to collect horses.

"Of course! When would you like to come? And would you like to join us tomorrow mornig? We usually meet at Stanhop Gate, at eight."

"A groom could bring around a horse for you before - I have a lively thoroughbred mare in my stable at the moment that might quite suit you, or a gelding with the smoothest gaits you have ever seen, who is very comfortable to ride and completely steady, if you'd rather enjoy the scenery", Torrington supplied smoothly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Thu May 15, 2014 1:51 am

Estefania thought for a moment, to see if she had any prior engagements set for the morning, then seeing as she did not, nodded to Isabella smiling. "Tomorrow morning sounds good. Oh, and you are coming to Lady Ines's and Captain Burlingame's wedding, aren't you?" She asked, very certain that Burlingame had extended the invitation to this family as well, even more for the celebration that followed the ceremony.

She turned to Torrington and her smile brightened a little. "Well, major, I would believe that you will make the best choice for the horse I should ride and shall accept in my temporary keep, for the purposes of the morning stroll, any you believe most fitting. And, should it be possible, later, I would love to see the other animals as well. I am really curious which you have. I expect to see some of the breeds I have not yet had the privilege of seeing."
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Sat May 17, 2014 5:48 am

"Lady Ines was kind enough to invite us", Torrington confirmed. "I shall send my groom around tomorrow at the half hour then. He can also guide you to our meeting point then. I think Errolan will be a good choice tomorrow. He is a true grey and very elegant, and very unlikely to be impressed by anything gossipmongers might want to try. He's also a purebred Welsh horse, so you might also ride him as a trial for our own horsebreeds."

Story !  God bless you !  I have none to tell, Sir.
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Sat May 17, 2014 6:38 am

"A welsh purebred?" Estefania turned a little, gazing inquiringly at Torrington. She was very eager to test ride the horse as she did not think that she had before had the privilege to do so. "What are they like? I'm intrigued and curious now." She admitted smiling softly. "The way you describe him I shall fear to not dress too plainly for his presence, but.. I admit, I cannot wait to see him and ride him." The excitement showed itself true in her eyes.
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Sun May 18, 2014 9:02 am

"Rather small, with a compact build, a graceful head, a nicely arched neck, and all the attributes of a good hunter - they are quite versatile", Torrington described. "They have a good deal of Arabian blood in them. Their smaller build, good character and comfortable gaits make them very suitable riding horse especially for ladies, but they are also used as coach horses. They are strong and have very good stamina, a high intelligence and great speed and nimblesness, so you need not worry that your mount will be beneath your riding standarts. He is a good dressage horse and a decent jumper, although you won't be able to test the last in the park, naturally."

Edward Torrington
Commander

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Estefania nodded trying to paint a picture of the horse in his mind, while she had little to go on, in physical description, the character formed itself nicely.

She chuckled softly, and more quietly now. "You never know. I have heard of the slight mishap of an encounter where a horse had run wild. Though.. was it in the same park?"
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham on Mon May 19, 2014 12:34 am

"Yes, it was! We were there when it happened!", Bella reported with a peal of laughter.

"Edward, Lord Gwydyr and Major Vickery even helped to stop the poor spooked horse. But accidents like that do not happen all that often in the park. It's more difficult if you get caught up in the traffic on the streets, but Hastings knows all the smaller alleys and can lead you around the worst."

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Mon May 19, 2014 10:21 am

"Yes. I heard of that too.. and the cavalryman was said to have been covered in mud for it. Though, I don't think I quite understood how it came to that. Did he fall in as well? Or was he thrown by his own horse?"

She nodded lightly, quite glad that she would have a guide through the streets that could help her avoid the most of the traffic, especially of those that were far from friendly. Of course, now perhaps fewer might dare to approach her in a negative manner. She at least hoped so.
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham on Tue May 20, 2014 8:37 am

"Lord Gwydyr and a Guards trooper pulled the horse out of the water", Torrington cut in. "Only the original rider was thrown."

Bella grinned.

"The mud broke his fall very effectively - I don't think he has suffered even a bruise. But of course it was rather unfortunate for his dignity and his clothes."

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 am

"I see. It does sound like an event one would prefer not to happen in public. I am quite glad though, that nobody got hurt... that is.. the horse was alright as well, was it?" She looked rather concerned about that one, though at least she was also equally concerned about the parties involved and a little amused by them too.

"Well, nothing of the sort will happen in the morning, that we can hopefully be fully assured by." She grinned.
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham on Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 am

"It was. The rider checked on it, and I overheard when he told Lord Gwydyr", Bella confirmed.

"I'm sure riders will take greater care in the forseeable future, so that it won't happen again."

A few mismatched sounds announced that the orchestra was getting ready to begin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 am

Estefania leaned back a little nodding. With the music beginning she knew better than to talk too loudly or to disturb them. It did not stop her however from glancing at Torrington when she thought that he was not paying attention. Quite happy with having gone to the opera just then, she felt more at ease than the days past.

After a moment she leaned a little closer to Torrington and whispered:" Oh...and.. I wanted to say before. You were impressive at the dressage competition."
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed May 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Torrington nodded noncommitally, politely indifferent to the compliment. He had been pestered with a substantial number of them already, most of them from people who had far less qualification to judge his performance than Estefania, and he was growing weary of them.

"Thank you, madam. It was a group effort, and I'm glad to say that we worked together extremly well."

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 pm

"You have known me long enough that you need not to address me in such an utterly formal and distant manner." Estefania said lightly, smiling. "Or do you prefer that I call you Lord Torrington then, sir?" She said with just a little cheek, though bearing a rather innocent and polite look on her face.

"Anyway it was indeed and you all have performed rather admirably." She did not push it though, nor expected a response to that. rather she turned towards the stage. "While in Portugal, have you attended any of the plays there? Or been part of any? I do remember hearing that officers would stage plays themselves during certain times?"
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 pm

"We did, mostly when we were billeted in the winter. I also managed to attend a few of the local productions. The townspeople were usually very gracious in inviting us."

Torrington smiled as he remebered the first such event, where he had been in the company of Captain Hunter and, later, a goat.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Estefania looked curiously at Torrington. "What did you play?" She inquired then smiled, nodding lightly. She was paying greater attention to what was happening on stage now than before and her voice had dropped to a whisper not to disturb anybody else.

Amateurs perhaps for the most part, the plays were more entertaining often than those done by professionals and often times with greater ingenuity used for the clothes.
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Tue May 27, 2014 6:30 am

"Some of the classics - suitably abridged or Much Ado even unabridged. Some more contemporary comedies. Anything we could get our hands on, really, as long as we could find the players for it. If we couldn't, we just took the scenes we could use. And more often than not it ended in a reading of the play, with us doing three or four characters at once each."

Torrington grinned rather boyishly. No need to tell the lady that several of these readings had somewhat deteriorated before the end of the play - and he still had very fond memories of the impropmptu stage fighting when they had come to the end of Hamlet.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 am

"So, have you done Romeo and Juliet? Or perhaps Hamlet? " Estefania asked curiously, gazing at Torrington. She did not know too many pieces from the English side, but guessed that it would be those, that they would most probably have done.
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 am

"Excerpts. I'm afraid our planned full production of Hamlet never made it to the stage. The reading ended in a rather spectacular stage fight, though, with a rather lengthy discussion of the duelling rules of that period for those who did not wish to participate. It certainly served to keep us entertained."

He raised an inquiring eyebrow.

"Have you yourself ever acted in a play, senhora?"

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida on Thu May 29, 2014 8:41 am

"Only when much younger. We have done a little performance or two when I was visiting my aunt and others we did solely in the company of family." She gazed at Torrington curiously.

"It is a pity that it had not made it to the stage. I imagine it would have been very entertaining and fun to watch. Who did you invite for such plays? Did the ladies observe as well?"
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Thu May 29, 2014 9:24 am

"Our fellow officers, what Spanish friends and allies were around, their wives ... Did we really never invite you? That must have been a rather unfortunate series of coincidences."

Torrington looked rather contrite at that.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top