Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles

2 posters

Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles Empty 6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 am

[Continuing Ransom]

Torrington came cantering sharply into the hussar camp, asking the next trooper he found where their new cornet was. He had a rather urgent manner, and although he was polite enough, he was not inviting any more conversation than necessary.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles Empty Re: 6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:49 am

Kenley, who was the trooper that the engineer addressed eyed the officer. He was about to ask what he wanted but biting his lip instead lifted his hand. He indicated the direction to his left. It was not far from them, but he would need to pass a number of men with their horses.They were fussing over their animals, some have unsaddled them, while others were already beginning the second part, which consisted of grooming their rides and then having some hay deposited to them.

"He's over there..You mean Willough....Cornet Gw..." He seemed to look a little bit annoyed at the word. "Gwydyr, right?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles Empty Re: 6th August 1809, afternoon: Money troubles

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 am

"Lord Gwydyr. Yes, exactly."

Torrington frowned, recalling that he had seen the trooper before.

"Keeley... Right? Thank you."

He turned into the direction indicated.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:21 am

"Kenley, sir." The trooper corrected him but nodded and turned back to his own horse.

About where Torrington was told to find Willoughby, Cornet Gwydyr indeed also was. He held a rather hefty packet of papers under his arm, which he he meant to take to his tent. Paperwork was not one of the things he looked forward to but dutifully did anyway.

Herrero looked equally impatient. While the horse took the new promotion very well in stride, he seemed to expect better now than he might have, with his rider a mere trooper.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:33 am

Torrington dropped out of the sattle next to the hussar.

"Gwydyr. Do you have a moment? I need your help."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:41 am

"Yes?" The cornet nodded, more confused as to what was the haste in which Torrington sought him out. He indicated for him to follow him - it was not far, but it was out of the earshot of others.

"Is here good?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 pm

"Perfect. Gwydyr, I hate to do this, but I need my money back. Or rather, as much of it as you can give me in Spanish coin. And right now."

Feeling that he was making a hash of things, he took a deep breath and tried again.

"There is a demand which I must meet, and the sum must be paid in local currency."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 pm

While Willoughby was slightly taken aback at such a rash demand he nodded slowly. "Certainly. I've sent for the money a few days ago, choosing the agent you've suggested.." As if he had needed explaining of that. Of course it was different reason that he had asked for money, as he intended to send the one he owed Torrington directly to him instead, but he did receive it just a day ago too. He was impressed at the speed of delivery and at the correctness and agreed that Lord Torrington had given him a rather wise piece of advice.

He had intended to use the money for the necessities his new rank demanded and he could purchase locally, especially as he has not been quite able to find a batman either, but if Torrington demanded it presently, he would be given as much as he had.

"May I inquire what the haste is about?" He inquired while he motioned for him to follow him. While he did have the money, it was not on his person, not most of it at least.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 am

"I must meet a ransom demand and need Spanish coin to do so. Applying to the army coffers would take too much time and would cause undesirable attention, although I'm quite sure that Sir Arthur would ratify the payment. But please do keep this a secret - the person concerned would most likely suffer if any hint of this would become public."

Edward trusted Willoughby - yet he knew that in a camp, everything could have ears, and he would not mention Estefania's name to anyone.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 am

"Understood. I promise I shan't speak a word of it." Willoughby answered readily. "I will give you what I have, I do not know that it will be enough, but had I known...." He shook his head. It was stupid to say something like that. Of course he could not have expected that Torrington would need money to save someone or pay a ransom for them.

"Do you need help with it? Anything? Tell me...and I will gladly help you." He said while he ducked into his new 'old' tent. He had bought it from Atkins and inside he only had a rather shaggy, worn table - also Cornet Atkins's belonging, and a bed covered with the blankets that he owned from before.

He ducked down, withdrawing from beneath it his sabretache. While most of the things in it were papers, at the very bottom and with a bit of a shuffling , shifting and nudging he brought up the money he had ordered.

It was a fairly hefty sum. He had intended to purchase a horse, and had eye on Bella for a while now. He also knew that one of Atkins' own horses was to be sold since he could not take both home and knowing the particular animal Willoughby thought it worth a go. It was strange but rather invigorating to be 'himself' again.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:21 am

Torrington quickly wrote out a note of hand (he had forgotten to do this for the two riflemen - really, where had his brain gone to?) for the sum, looking rather relieved when he saw the amount.

"Here - if you need the money within the army, this should be good enough, and I will redeem it as soon as I can. I am immensly grateful. I don't think you can be of any help at the moment - I'd rather not bring any more persons along than strictly necessary - but perhaps you could arrange to train near the picket line along the northern camp border this evening? No further afield, but ready to react should you hear shooting?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:33 am

Willoughby nodded taking the paper. " You need not worry." He said instead. He tucked the sabretache back under the bed, though it was clearly lying on something still, as it would not get dirtied by the ground beneath.

"I will make the arrangements. Any particular hour you would prefer that we are assured to be there?" He knew that the troopers might look sullen at having to train at just that time, but since there had been certain failings he had seen in their riding earlier that day, he would have had a perfect excuse.

"Should there be anything more, sir..." He paused and then altered it into. "...Torrington. I will be at your disposal. Do not hesitate to ask."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:01 am

"The note says an hour after sunset. You would have to sell this of a night training - although I imagine that actually has to happen occassionally?"

Torrington stowed the money carefully away and got ready to leave again.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:15 am

"We will begin a little early and draw it out into the night. It won't hurt them to have an occasional night drill." He smiled encouragingly. "...We'll be ready, Torrington. " He waited for the money to be stored away and walked to the tent flap. He turned. "I wish you good luck and a successful save." He lifted the flap and allowed them both out of his rather humble abode.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 am

"Thank you. As soon as it is over, I will notify you."

Torrington mounted an impatiently waiting Trueno again. He offerend Willoughby a grateful little smile and salute, then quickly rode towards the rifles camp.

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down