Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London

2 posters

Go down

To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London Empty To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London

Post  Edward Torrington Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:02 am

[The beginning of the letter is missing and has probably been passed around in the family. The following was written on a seperate sheet. A facsimile can be found here.]]

Dear Sir,

there is another matter for which I hope to engage your help. As the circumstances are somewhat delicate, I must beg you to keep the contents private for the moment.

A friend of mine and especially William's from our school days has become quite estranged from his paternal grandfather. I cannot in honour disclose the name he is using now or his present location, for which I beg you will forgive me. The disagreement at the root of this estrangement originated in my friend's wish to join active cavalry service, which his grandfather opposed. As you will likely have guessed already, he prevailed, but at the cost of severing all connections abruptly and completely. However, he still bears his relative a good deal of affection, and to complicate the matter, he is his grandfather's next living relative and will upon his death inherit the title of the Earl of Parham.

As the situation does neither of them credit and weights quite heavily on my friends mind, he would wish to reconcile with his grandfather. As he has no close relatives in England, who could act on his behalf, and is at present not at liberty to return to England, I have engaged to ask for your help, as both your aquintance with the earl and your skill as a diplomate will be needed to bring this matter to a happy solution.

If you would attempt to find out what stance the earl takes now over his heir's continuing military career and (if he is agreeable to this point) even meditate a return to amicable relations, you may be certain of my friend's eternal graditude. He is serving honourably and with some distinction, and has sofar kept all connections with the earldom of Parham a secret. If his grandfather desires to know, you may assure him that he is quite well and has sofar not suffered any major injuries.

Should his Lordship wish to send a letter to his grandson, he might address it to my hands, and I will engage to have it safely conveyed to the intended recipient.

Sir, I am aware that I rely heavily on your good nature to ask you to attempt such an awkward task, but please rest assured that it never will be a thankless one.

I remain more than ever your grateful son,

Edward

Last edited by Edward Torrington on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : When shown the letter, Willoughby had a few suggestions and corrections)
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London Empty Re: To his Lordship, the Right Honourable Earl of Gleve, Gleve House, London

Post  Timothy Willoughby Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:41 am

[In a different hand, the style and writing clearly different to Torrington's the next few words were written:]

Mylord, please let me add my own words of gratitude - whatever the outcome might be, I will always remain your most obedient servant. If you are able to, please tell my grandfather my best wishes for his health.

[The letter remained without signature but for a small mark where the author had nearly begun to sign his name. When the last part was written, it was not done in haste and more of the time the quill spent held above the paper, than riding across it. There was even a small ink stain to bear witness of that.]
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down