Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

3rd October, 1814: Visiting Torrington

+2
Marashar
Timothy Willoughby
6 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 Empty Re: 3rd October, 1814: Visiting Torrington

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:39 am

"But ... shouldn't I be at home then, not with my brother?"

Bella frowned.

"Or do you think he does not know I'm here? We could go to the library or the music room then - Edward doesn't mind surely. He says it was as much my grandmother's house as his. Oh, I hope he didn't call on Mama! She wasn't in when I came back, so she doesn't know! She would have send him here then - she is a friend of his mother!"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

3rd October, 1814: Visiting  Torrington - Page 3 Empty Re: 3rd October, 1814: Visiting Torrington

Post  John Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:05 am

Emma did not know much about gentlemen calling on each other and whether 'not at home' would work in such cases, as it would for a lady.

"I suppose that the ladies could retire to another room and we soldiers could baffle the poor fellow with tales of our Peninsular exploits," her brother put in. "If such a fellow is likely to be baffled at all, that is. He struck me as rather a dim-witted sort of man who spends far too much time thinking on others' opinions of him, and is easily bored when he is not the centre of attention." He shrugged. "Of course, propriety would mean we should leave if you were to receive another caller - but our sisters seem to have begun a mutual friendship. We can hardly interrupt their conversation now, can we?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 am

Edward, quite relieved, smiled.

"Of course not - and I am only a good host if I present him with the opportunity to thank you for recuing his horse. After all, I must assume he came here to inquire after your directions so that he can do just that, and not to try to steal another conversation with Bella, mustn't I?"

He smiled in the direction of the two ladies.

"Bella, my dear, I believe the music sheets of those Italian songs you wanted arrived - I put them on the piano."

Bella let out a quickly restrained squeal of delight, both at the arrival of the music and the prospect of escaping.

"Oh, Emma, shall we? Wilson can bring us tea there, and we look at them together! You like music, don't you?"

Animated and with sparkling eyes, she stood and looked indeed very lovely - it was easy to see why Mr. Bromwell sought her out. Her brother laughed softly, opening the second door of the room, since it would be rather unfortunate if the ladies were to escape through the corridor which could be seen from the main hall.

"Your brother mentioned that you had an interest in music, Madam - please feel free to explore my poor collection or use the instrument if you want - any instrument, that is. If you find any use for that harp, you are even welcome to keep it."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 am

"Music? Oh, I dearly love to play," Emma said, her own eyes glowing at the prospect. "Do you sing, Lady Isabella? Or do you prefer to play? I confess that I should far prefer to play for you than to sing."

A harp, though. "I have longed to play the harp, although Papa has not found a suitable tutor to engage, and so he has not laid out the expense of purchasing an instrument."

Vickery could not hide a grin. "You have made my sister into a lifelong friend, Torrington," he said warmly. "I only fear that we shall likely be unable to listen and shall have to entertain Mr Bromwell instead."
Emma Vickery
Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

Species : Civilian; Lady
Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 am

Willoughby smiled, pleased in a sense, that the ladies would retire to another room and thus the man would not receive what he had come for in his deceitful manner. He had stood as they had, and waited that both would have gone to the other room, before taking his seat again.

"I dearly hope the horse has not gone through another dangerous ordeal with him, nor any other animal for that matter." The cavalryman spoke, gazing at his two male companions.

"Had he done something of the sort back in the ranks, he would most certainly have been made to get of his high horse to clean the stables for weeks to come, and not only that!"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 am

"Oh, do you? I prefer to sing! Oh we shall have so much fun, and I'm sure we will find a way that the gentlemen can applaud us soon!"

Bella said the last bit with a sly smile, and her brother immediately bowed, very hard fighting a smile.

"If this is my cue to invite them again, Bella, you don't need to prompt me - I certainly will want to hear you both, and Mama will give a dinner party for this purpose alone, should you just mention it."

With a slightly guilty look to Vickery, he added: "That is, assuming, that Miss Vickery would welcome the invitation and is not too much appalled by my manners. Forgive me, ma'am. I hope I need not say that you are always welcome, Vickery, and need no special invitation. As do you, Gwydyr."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 am

"Oh, of course I should welcome such an invitation - what lady could resist a chance to show off her talents in such distinguished company as yours?" Emma said with a polite curtsey. "I should be delighted to play for you at any time - if you do not mind Beethoven; he is quite a favourite with my brothers and I."

Emma Vickery
Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

Species : Civilian; Lady
Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 am

"I certainly don't mind - I am quite devoted to his work myself."
Ruefully, he smiled.
"But I must wean myself from the pleasure of your company for the moment, I fear. Bella, if there is anything you want ..."

Wilson cleared his throat.

"I believe you will find a footman will be occupied in the hall, just in case Mr. Bromwell gets lost or cannot resist the charms of Mr. Beethoven's music. shall I send Mr. Bromwell up now?"

Edward pulled his shoulders back and looked around for final confirmation of readiness, just like all the times before he had given any order to advance into enemy territory. Bella grinned at Emma, ready to lead the way to the music room.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:17 am

Willoughby bowed though he was too far back that he could be much noticed by anyone, let alone the two ladies that were ready to depart. He had nodded then, though again thinking that perhaps had he done nothing, it would have been just as well, for Torrington would do the next step no differently.

He knew he would have been much more awkward, should he have needed to speak much to the ladies. Vickery had his sister that helped ease the conversation, and Torrington had his. Either could act as a 'buffer' to the other. He turned to the other entrance instead, pretending to busy himself with the ornaments that were left and right of it and of the style in which Torrington had this room furnished.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 am

Emma smiled at her hostess and indicated that she should lead the way to the music room. She was very much looking forward to the prospect of trying someone else's pianoforte.

Vickery nodded, preparing to take his seat again the instant the ladies had left. He was not willing to give a hint that anyone apart from the three gentlemen had ever occupied this room, if it meant that Bromwell were to be thrown off the scent and cut his visit short.

John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:45 am

Bella swiftly ushered Emma out and Edward closed the door behind them, nodding to Wilson. The butler disappeared, leaving the men to arrange themselves around the table again.

Edward tried to recall what Willoughby had last said, feeling he had somewhat neglected him, and replied:

"The horse moved well enough once it was clear of the water. Let us hope that it was nothing more than a unexpected bath and a harsher gallop then it was accustomed to."

While he felt several things could be said to the second part of Willoughby's comment, he prefered not to voice them when the subject of his not entirely complimentary comments was on his way up to see them.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:57 am

Vickery resumed his seat the instant the door closed behind the two ladies.

"I did not see any signs that the animal had strained anything - although I should hesitate before hiring a beast from a common hiring stable, myself. One can have very little idea of how an animal has been treated and therefore how it will react in a strange  situation. I think it a mercy Mr Bromwell was not thrown, all things considered."

Last edited by John Vickery on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:49 pm

"I quite disagree with you on that matter." Willoughby, who has sat down, and had listened to the thoughts of both men, replied. "While it is true that each horse has its special traits and its temperament, just as every man has theirs, a good rider shall have the horse know that he expects little funny business. And the horse might test him at first, but shall very quickly understand this." He glanced at the door to see whether the new arrival has yet greeted them with their presence and paused to listen whether the ladies had begun with their play yet: " Most commonly horses in such establishments will grow insensitive towards strikes of the whip, and might stubbornly ignore your demands should they feel that there is even the slightest opening in your confidence, the faintest hint of your riding knowledge lacking." He continued. "There are few that are still too wild at heart... and many that would rather pick a pace of a snail, than that of a vigorous goat." He smiled briefly. "Alas, they may have more experience of the unusual than our own horses, for they are made to walk in parks and places where loud sounds and flighty children are in abundance. I am not of course, comparing them to the military trained horses. Those.. are a 'breed' of their own." This he said more proudly than the rest, for indeed a good military horse for a cavalryman should be worth gold if the cavalryman's heart was in the right place or his common sense.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:30 pm

"I should not care to ride Brandy were he to spend a year in such an establishment, without the time to allow him to learn to trust me again," Vickery said. "But consider - a horse from a hiring stables may go out to an excellent rider with light hands and sense one day and the next may be hired by... by a butcher's boy who has no notion how to make the animal move other than by use of the crop. I would not be surprised to find that the mouths of quite three-quarters of the horses in a hiring stables have been spoilt by unhorsemanlike use of the reins."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 pm

"Yes, they are changed through experience, however it is more often that what they refuse to do, such as move, than, that they wish to throw you. After a time they may not seem to feel the whip at all and it is much harder to bring them into motion. They may be stubborn and 'hateful' but this can hardly be used as an excuse or the horse hardly be blamed for reckless riding that endangers all, young and old." He said the last firmly.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 pm

"If a horse bolts, a bad rider is far less likely to be able to keep his seat, and thus will be thrown, which is the fault of the rider not of the horse," Vickery said, and nodded. "It was quite the most reckless sort of riding i have seen in a long while. I should be loath to lend or sell a horse to a man who habitually rides like that, for he is likely to abuse his animals cruelly and then to blame them when they do not do as he wishes."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 am

Before Torrington could rejoin the conversation, Wilson oppened the door and announced:

"Mr. Bromwell, Mylord!"

The man entered right behind, somewhat startled to find Edward not in the expected company of his sister, but of two males that looked very vaguely familiar. He had changed his clothes, and now wore morning dress of impecable cut and style. His legware was a credit to his valet (though Edward less than charitably thought that a darker colour than was the hight of fashion might suit the somewhat soft legs better), the coat was of excellent material and the buckram and wadding worked in so skillfully that it was only noticable to the keenest observer, and Edward could not help but admire how the adoption of Lord Byron's wind-swept hairstyle lend an air of fashionable rakishness even to the most indifferently coloured hair.

Rising, he greeted his guest in most polite tones.

"Mr. Bromwell, how good of you to call so promptly. Allow me to introduce you to Major Vickery, of the 60th Rifles, and Captain the Lord Gwydyr, of the 15th Hussars."

He did not yet mention that they had been instrumental in recovering Bromwell's horse this morning, giving the man a chance to thank them without further prompting, but it was clear that the man did not recognize them when he bowed to them with an expression of impressed confusion on his face.

====

[The ladies have fled to here!]

Last edited by Edward Torrington on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shifted the girls to their own thread)
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 am

Vickery stood, being careful with his sword, and gave a brief bow as Torrington made the introductions. "Mr Bromwell."

His second viewing of the man was no more promising, really, than the first. He obviously spent far more time in front of his mirror than Vickery judged was strictly necessary. His coat was impeccable, cut in what must be the latest fashion. His trousers were equally fashionable, a pale colour that did not suit him, and his tow-coloured hair was brushed forward in style made popular by the rather dashing Lord Byron.

Vickery himself made no pretensions to following fashion, but did not need to - his uniform was just as dashing, in its own way, as anything Lord Byron's tailor could produce. The dark green jacket with its scarlet collar and bright silver lace suited Vickery's dark hair and tanned skin.

That Bromwell did not recognise him was a little surprising - although if he recognised anything, Vickery would have thought it would be the uniform, which was unusual in both its colour and its style.

He hoped that Bromwell's visit would not last too long.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:41 am

Willoughby nodded last, gazing at the newly arrived peacock. From head to toe he was dressed in the fashion to impress and flaunt the money that he must have possessed for such meticulous dress.

"Mister Bromwell... how is the horse? Any news?" He doubted that the man went to see if the animal was completely unharmed and calmed and that there was no physical, nor mental problems caused by that adventure. He was perhaps somewhat direct in inquiring, and perhaps inconsiderably bold.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 am

"The horse, Mylord?", Mr. Bromwell asked, somewhere between surprised and mortified that the 'unfortunate incident' was brought up so directly.

"The Captain was the one who pulled your horse out of the water this morning", Edward informed him softly, which made the man stammer some disjointed sentences. Most likely they were meant to convey thanks, flattery and reassurances, but all in all they only managed to sound uninformed, piqued and syncophantic.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:12 am

"Quite, quite. " Willoughby interrupted the stammer, before it would get even more embarrassing. "You did inquire about its well-being, have you not?" He tilted his head to the side, inquiringly.

"While that animal was most fortunate not to have broken a leg, I would certainly had wished to know." He continued, polite and in a much more refined manner, still chiding the other, like he were a child.

"But,..I am sure you have done so." Unconvinced, but still polite.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:39 am

"It is ... the stable would have ..."

The man fumbled - clearly he had assumed that as long as the stable owner did not appear on his doorstep demanding money, the horse would be uninjured.
Usually Mr. Bromwell was quite a confident young man, but he had never after his school time faced such a dressing down from a person whose rank so clearly demanded respect.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:59 am

"They have not informed you yet?... Oh, understandable." Willoughby made it clear that he was unconvinced and that he would much prefer if the young man would go out of his way now just to make sure the horse is well. " Still, I am most certain you will remedy their wrong, and soon inform me that the horse is in a brilliant state, completely unharmed. Right?" He smiled pleasantly. " Now, excuse me.. you have come to visit Torrington.." He gazed at the man in question and actually looked apologetic for having interrupted him.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:07 am

Vickery had watched this exchange in silence, recognising Willoughby's - Gwydyr's - style of dressing-down. He had employed much the same sort of thing when dealing with rogue Riflemen, after all, and was pretty sure he had upbraided Willoughby himself once in a similar vein, years ago in Portugal.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 am

Torrington was rather uneasy - while he echoed Willoughby's sentiments, as the host and aquintance of Bromwell, not to mention the son of his mother's friend, he felt that he should not allow this mortification of the man to go any further. Therefore, before the man had to formulate another stuttering reply, he cut smoothly in:

"I hope you yourself have not taken any harm?"

Which in hindsight was perhaps not so very clever, as it offered Mr. Bromwell an excellent opportunity to expound on the dangers of wet clothes in this weather ("fortunately still rather warm, but there was no denying that there was a chill in the air this morning"), and the thoughts of his mother on this subject.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next