Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

26th June, They are upon the road

3 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 Empty Re: 26th June, They are upon the road

Post  George Hunter Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 pm

"Then why don't you go take one? Preferably in a nice quiet pond!" Shouted Hunter to be heard over the roar of the water currents.
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Species : British Infantry; ADC to General Wellesley
Number of posts : 437

Back to top Go down

26th June, They are upon the road - Page 6 Empty Re: 26th June, They are upon the road

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 pm

"Nice quiet ponds are boring!", Edward shouted back. He had reached the point where the water had cut deeply into the bed of the river as it swerved around the pillar.

"It's pretty deep here. I don't think I can get through - at least not in a way that would allow me to see the pillar. Can you hold on fast for a minute?"

He drew his heavy artillery sabre and leaned forward against the rope, poking at something below the waterline.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:04 am

Hunter looped the rope around his own waist, grabbed it in a more secure grip and braced himself. "Torrington, the woman who washes my clothes already charges extra! Do not make me take another swim!"
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 am

Torrington couldn't answer that one, because he was leaning sideways into the rope, trying to reach something at the foot of the pillar, was half und water with his chest and had to keep his mouth closed.

When he gripped the rope and pulled himself up again, he was grinning broadly, however.

"The base is just coming out of the gravel. Short of an avalanche, there's nothing that will shake this pillar!"

He left his sabre dangle from its wriststrap and began to pull himself hand over hand back to calmer waters again.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:19 am

"Oh, I am so glad you have established that, Torrington! Would you hurry up and get back on the dry land? We are not in the Navy!"
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:32 am

Edward stalked the last yards out of the water and shook himself like a wet dog.

"Alright, alright! You just begrudge me that cool bath!"

He thrust his sabre into the ground and shook out his arms, the waterdrops from his sleeves dancing brilliantly in the sun, not quite accidently raining down just short of Hunter's boots.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 am

"I begrudge you not having a commander who spots even a tiniest crease or speck of mud on your uniform." He unwound the rope and dropped it on the ground. "Well, did you even think that you will have to be soaking wet for the rest of the journey?"
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am

"I will be comforted by the knowledge that my buckskins will fit me to perfection for the rest of the day! As for the rest ... I brought a second pair of socks, and will for once not complain about that infernal sun. It will have dried that shirt in a moment, if you would be good enough to wait just a bit longer!"

Edward unwound his sodden cravat, eying it with distaste (he really should have remembered to take that off before), and drapped it over the rail of the bridge, then pulled off his boots, allowing a decent amount of water to escape.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 am

Hunter eyed Torrington, then raised one eyebrow: "You know, Torrington, your buckskins are enough to scandalise a woman of easy virtue, let alone a respectable Portuguese matron."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 am

"Then let us be glad that none is around! Or was it a polite reminder that you are easily scandalized and I should continue this expedition wrapped in my greatcoat?"

Edward was bend over now, exchanging his socks for a rather interesting looking pair that had certainly been the gift of some well-meaning, but rather unskilled relative.

"So now that we have established that we have a very nice bridge, but no good road to get to it, what shall we do next? Is the weather still holding up?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 am

"We could ride over. I'd be interested to see what the ground is like on the other side and whether there is good natural cover. Just in case, though I doubt there will be any French to bottle us in while we are crossing the bridge."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 pm

"Still, better be safe then sorry!"

Edward, still slightly dripping, passed his hands through his hair until it stopped sticking as a wet plaster to his head, then vaulted back into the saddle.

"Will you forgive me for leaving my coat off just a few moments longer?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:58 pm

"Leave it off as long as you like, Torrington, we are on reconnaissance not at a ball. Besides I've seen worse." He tapped Firebird's sides lightly with his heels directing her over the bridge.
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Edward turned his own horse to follow, standing in his stirrups to look around.

"Well, if they try to block the crossing, any cannon on the top of the bridge would clear any direct opposition, but I guess that shrubbery on both sides will be hard to control."

Conscious of his still-wet state, the engineer pushed his cuffs back to his ellbows and pulled a notebook from his sabretache, propped it against the hard back and made a quick sketch, accompanied by a few notes.

"You're better versed in these things. What's your verdict?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 pm

"You give me too much credit in these things," drawled Hunter. "I think however, if anything happens, if we hold one side, we should pull through. Though I would prefer having the French at the back, on this side, rather than greeting us on the bank we need to get to."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Edward looked down the side of the bridge. At the highest point, the fast-flowing water was a good thirty feet below.

"I would not care having men cross that bridge in panic either way. And I certainly hope it will not become necessary to disable it. It would take a long time to do that properly. - Shall we climb one more hill, have a look at what lies ahead and then turn back?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm

"By all means, but I am afraid we'll have to make our way back rather briskly. It is getting rather late in the day."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 am

"If he is allowed to splash through the river afterwards, Trueno won't mind a brisk pace back. I believe he even would enjoy it."

Edward patted his horses neck proudly and directed him up another slope.

"Unless you propose that we go some distance tonight and he should save his strength?"

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am

George studied Trueno's form and the way he was holding himself. "I dare say he'll manage. We won't be going far." George smiled. "And I am not telling you anything else."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 am

"I have said it before and will say it again: You are a tease, Hunter. Here. That's as high up as we can get without actual climbing, which I would prefer not to have to do. Can you see anything unusual?"

He offered his spyglass onehandedly to Hunter, already busy adding a few more lines and notes to his sketch.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 am

Hunter took the spyglass and scanned the horizon. "No. Nothing out of the ordinary, which is not to say it isn't there." He handed the spyglass back, "You might want to bring a cloak as well tonight." He glanced across at Torrington. "And perhaps you can find something a little less, ah, gentlemanly to wear?"
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:02 am

Edward looked down at himself: Without hat, coat and cravat, cuffs rolled up to the ellbows, dripping and with unpolished boots he was as far away from being dressed like a proper gentleman as he could think of without actually borrowing some soldier's clothing.

The look he gave Hunter was comicly suspicious.

"What do you have in mind? My nightshirt?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 am

Hunter snorted. "That would certainly make an impression." He carried on swiftly not to give too much information away. "If you were to be seen in it. But do certainly lay off those sand-coloured paint layers."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:29 am

"I think I will pass on that compliment to my tailor! But as my nightshirt cannot compare to that perfection, I would prefer not to show it around publicly. And if we are to ride, I insist on some kind of inexpressibles! Perhaps you should just come along and point out to me which of my garments you deem suitable for this mysterious endeavor."

He had of course a pair of overalls, but as long as he didn't know what this was all about, he wouldn't admit to that.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:36 am

"Do not I beg you, involve me with your scandalous wardrobe. I may end up having a fit of vapours and I do not have my smelling salts on me."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next