Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Checking the picquets, 11th June

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 Empty Re: Checking the picquets, 11th June

Post  Zachary Pye Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:32 am

Pye stared at Vickery almost as if he had just grown a second head. Then his expression might just have resembled a lad, who has been stunned into silence. Captain Vickery , THE captain Vickery, was offering to teach him to read and to write and to be smarter than he was and he thought it was possible and he had a serious look on his face. A friendly, serious look on his face, which meant that he was not pulling his leg and he was not trying to make him the butt of his joke.

"I..." He shuffled, blinked and inhaled, just then realising that he had even stopped breathing and he was starting to lack the air.

"Sir, if...It would be too much for me to ask,..to.. for that. But.. but I'd like to learn." He looked sheepish, embarrassed. "that is, only if you would not mind to ..though it.. that would be too amazing and unreal and I can't ever imagine, am I sleeping and dreaming sir? Though I swear I promise I would not dare dream something like , like that.. couse I know it would be too much for me to think I could..you would.." He inhaled again as the last had been spoken fast even if haltingly every few words.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Checking the picquets, 11th June - Page 2 Empty Re: Checking the picquets, 11th June

Post  John Vickery Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 pm

"I am perfectly serious," Vickery replied, trying not to laugh at the utterly flabbergasted expression on Pye's face. Not that he could see it very well in the dark, but it was perfectly intelligible in the man's speech. "And no, you are not dreaming," he added. "It will take some work, though." From both of us, he thought, though he didn't say that aloud.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 pm

"Of course. I know that, sir. Any sort of learning takes time and work. Ain't marchin' like you know it, jus' after you try it firs' time. " He smiled brightly. "Oh.. and then.. then I can practice an' all with Freddie. Couse sir.. the other sir, Torrington, sir, him is going to teach too. An'.. and mebbe..." He shut up and blushed a deep red.

"Sorry, sir. It's jus' quite exciting, and it .. it's somethin' you don't get every day and not everybody knows it. You know?" He looked thoughtful. "..'specially comin' from a sir like you or 'im... it's a special privilege. Promise to work hard till I can read like I was makin' it up on the spot. That fast!" He grinned sheepishly. "Not that I ever do make things up on the spot, promise."
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 am

"It's 'officer'," Vickery pointed out gently. "'Sir' is the form of address - how you talk to an officer. but when you're talking about them, the word is 'officer'." He smiled, and wondered if Torrington was teaching Rottlaender to read in English or German. Probably English; he wasn't aware that the Engineer spoke enough German to teach Rottlaender to read the Rifleman's own language.

"You ought to stop worrying so much about what I think of you," he added, then corrected himself, speaking a little drily. "Or rather, stop being over-anxious about it, anyway."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:14 am

"Yes, sir. Understood." He was smiling still, and was quite proud and happy and wondered why either of the men would even want any of the boys to know how to write.

"Sir, " He began quietly and gazed again at Vickery. "Is there a reason you'll need us ter write fer...?" He asked boldly enough.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 am

"Well, it will help when it comes to promotion," Vickery pointed out. "And it'll be useful in the meantime, too, of course."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:55 am

"Promotion? Me? Us?" So, Freddie was certainly on the good path to get promoted. He was literally sugar high efficient, and very smart and he would know two languages soon, though.. if Pye considered that, so would he. He was learning it now, and he was getting quite good at it and rather proud that he was saying it pretty close to how it was supposed to be said also by sound.

"..." He was pretty speechless then slowly he smiled and added in a soft: "T' day I was let ter transfer ter t' 60th was...it really changed everything, sir." Even if he would never get promoted, just to have someone suggest it as a possibility. It was interesting, confusing, exciting and unexpected.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 am

"I don't see any reason why you should not eventually be promoted," Vickery replied. "Although you should not expect it to happen overnight, of course. You will have to be a proficient Rifleman in order to be considered for promotion, of course, but I think that is possible - with some work, naturally."

It was a little amusing at just how flummoxed Pye was at even the suggestion that he might eventually be promoted."

"After all, who knows how long this war will go on for?" he added, thoughtfully.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2