» 7th October: Charming play
Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

14th June: Building bridges of humanity

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 14th June: Building bridges of humanity

Post  John Vickery on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 pm

"Bom dia," Vickery said to the newcomers. He turned to look at Torrington, giving him a questioning look. Had they finished here, or not? And if not, could the Engineer continue his inspection without arousing anyone's suspicion?

It was a little suspicious, the way the newcomers had appeared, and he felt disconcerted... he was sure he recognised one of them, but couldn't place him. And that was worrying, especially out here.

King George commands, and we obey
Over the hills and far away ~ Traditional

An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier will not be confident in executing them.
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:38 am

Edward considered briefly, letting his eyes travel over the bridge again, then shook his head slightly and tilted his head towards their own camp. He had seen everything that was to be seen - discussing it would better be done in private.

There was also the small matter that he didn't quite trust the situation, was standing on a bridge with unknown persons on both sides and his horse including any weapons he had several yards away in the care of their guard. At least the last could be remedied quickly.

He took Trueno's reins back again and politely asked Estefania:

"Shall we ride back to camp then? Or do you wish to stay with your own people?"

Story !  God bless you !  I have none to tell, Sir.
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 am

Vickery had been holding his own horse and the reins of the Engineer's horse, and offered them back to Torrington as the Engineer climbed back onto the bridge. Obviously there was plenty more to be discussed. Equally obviously, it couldn't be discussed with the present company.

"I believe we know the way back, should you have more pressing matters to attend to, Senhora," he said, before the silence could stretch for too long and become uncomfortable.

An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier will not be confident in executing them.
John Vickery
Captain

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Marashar on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:17 am

The farmer quickly crossed the bridge now, exchanging only a few words with the three men coming from the other side. Perhaps he didn't trust the engineer's word that the bridge was in good working order or he suspected that the officer might changed exactly that, but somehow he seemed rather relieved when he was on the regular street on the other side of the bridge again, and set out at a brisk pace to where the road disappeared in the wood.
Marashar
Midshipman

Species : Give me the coffee!
Number of posts : 456

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:55 am

Josef passed the farmer earlier while the other two men exchanged words and studied the arrivals suspiciously. Not even Estefania's words seemed to make them feel any happier, nor more at ease.

After she returned to respond to Torrington and Vickery's concerns, she looked quite serious. Widmayer however spoke first. "...We shall accompany you back." He spoke with accented English, as if his Portuguese wished to influence his words. "..French had been spotted near by, we do not want you to fall in the wrong hands." He glanced at the two hussars. "..That's all of you?" He asked then, somewhat incrediously.
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Species : Civilian
Number of posts : 735

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 am

Willoughby shifted in his saddle. They learned very little, what he could gather. They learned that there was a bridge here, that could be of use , should they need it at some later point in time, they also learned that the French were near, which would perhaps interest the higher ranked, should these French pose danger to them.

There was the woman, she seemed to work well with the guerilla and was one. There was the other, the new arrival. He did not particularly remind him of a typical Portuguese man, but then, that meant little. "..Think our tour is over." He whispered to Kenley, who grinned. "Could possibly be...that we won't be checking out the French. Too many officers, too few of us."

Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:11 am

"I think we will be all right in getting back to camp ourselves," Vickery said, still unable to place where he knew this 'Portuguese' man from. That sense of unease meant he would rather not be in the man's company for longer than he had to be.

Getting caught up in a disagreement between their Portuguese allies was not something that Vickery particularly relished. "We should not like you to go out of your way."

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 am

" Oh, sir, you need not worry. My path is in part joined with yours.. so I shall not be taking much at all in terms of effort, to come with you." Widmayer answered politely and smiled pleasantly. "..And I would indeed feel better, to keep you out of the hands of our enemy..." He gazed in the direction as if seeing the coats of the first French, there already.

His gaze stopped on Torrington briefly, then with a nod he motioned to their female companion. "..Miss Lopes." He straightened a little and continued in Portuguese. "I have been asked to tell you, that what you have been looking for.. has been found. Also, you are asked to return to the house now."
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:45 am

Rather pointedly, Edward bowed.

"Captain Torrington, Royal Engineers. May I ask your name, Sir, if we are to travel back together?"

He did not quite like that the man seemed to know Miss Lopes and talked to her in a language he barely understood. There had been something about a casa, which he knew to mean house and something about returning. Did they live together? Would the man return to it or had he ordered the lady to do it? It hadn't been a question anyway.

Edward Torrington
Commander

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 am

While Estefania nodded to Josef, not questioning what he had said and clearly of the knowledge of what he spoke of, Josef glanced at Edward and answered easily, introducing himself by the name he had picked to represent the Portuguese and to which he had grown accustomed to so that the name flowed from his tongue as if he had in truth been his own.

"António Raposo Tavares." He smiled and gave the other man a light bow. "Pleased to meet you." He added pleasantly as if he had indeed seen him for the first time. The same polite greeting was then given to Vickery.
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:28 am

"Senhor Tavares," Vickery replied, inclining his head politely. "I am Captain Vickery of the 60th Rifles," he said, introducing himself. He had not liked the way that Taveres had spoken to Senhora Lopes, but did not think that it would do quite yet to reveal his own fluency in their tongue. He wondered what Estefania had been looking for, and why it was that she should return to the house - although 'casa' could just as easily mean 'home' as 'house'.

Taveres' face looked vaguely familiar, although Vickery still couldn't place it. No matter; he would recall it later, probably when trying to remember something else entirely.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:12 pm

"Senhor!"

Edward sketched a bow, then turned to Estefania, wordlessly offering his help to get back into the saddle.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Estefania smiled politely towards Torrington. She debated whether she should show him that she needed none of his assistance to return to the saddle of her horse, but then, considering it, she decided to give him that pleasure.

With the assistance she was soon seated atop her horse. She bowed her head to Torrington in a sign of thanks, and also said so. " I will come a short part with you. " She spoke , her words meant for Torrington, though of course the rest of the company would come too.

Josef did not protest, though he saw her intention clearly. Instead he focused on the path ahead of them.

Last edited by Josef Widmayer on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 am

Torrington slightly bowed.

"You brighten our day, madam."

After making sure that his rope and all else was safely stowed away again, he got into his own saddle again, and turned his horse until it was by her side.

"Captain Vickery, are we ready to leave?"

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 am

Vickery was in the process of getting back into the saddle himself, so there was a moment's delay before he could answer.

"I have no reason to wait around if you have completed your survey, Captain Torrington." He smiled at Estefania; he would not object to her presence on the journey back to camp.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 am

"You are too kind." Estefania smiled politely at Torrington, then started her mare at a walk. Josef remained further behind them, disinterested at the moment in the proceedings.

"I hope this would be of some use to you." She murmured. "Though, should it not be completely necessary,as the bridge serves our native men and women, we would delight in keeping it." She patted her mare gently on the neck. " But should you need it... we will be ready to commit such a sacrfice."
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 am

"I'm quite finished, thank you!"

Torrington nodded to Vickery to show that he was indeed ready. He did not quite like having the Portuguese behind him where he couldn't see him - something about this man was rubbing him the wrong way. Quite probably his tone towards Estefania and his familiarity with her, he ruefully acknowledged. but Vickery was there as well, so the man hardly could do any mischief.

Allowing Trueno to walk beside the mare (something he had been quite desirous to do), he answered sincerely:

"I hope you never shall be called upon to do so - it is a very fine bridge, and it would be a great pity to destroy it."

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 am

"It is indeed. There are many that we keep that have been made in ages past." Estefania smiled solemnly. "They carry the craftmanship perhaps forgotten, the strength that may mirror only the stubborness of my people." She kept the pace of her mare equal to Torrington's, neither going ahead, nor stalling behind him. It was a comfortable pace for the horses, easy to navigate, should the ground prove itself worse.

" You must know the work of so many more though ?" She was polite, respectful and respectable, genuinely interested in the opinion that Torrington had of the built of these monuments.
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Willoughby observed Josef. The man seemed no longer interested in the party. He would not have been surprised if the man left altogether, saying his path with them had been shorter, or passing the responsibility of their safe return ,as was the arrival, on the woman.

He conversed with the younger trooper quietly. They still stole glances and glimpses around them, if only to make sure that noone would come out of the blue, or the surrounding bush and tree, and attack them.

Captain

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:10 pm

"I have seen a few." Torrington smiled rather charmingly. "You have nothing at all to hide."

He turned in the saddle to see whether the others followed, then, making sure they were out of earshot, softly said:

"Forgive me, but I could not help but noticing that this man spoke less than graciously to you. Is he bothering you?"

Last edited by Edward Torrington on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : finally remembered the word i wanted to use)

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 am

"He is.... a man of actions and few manners. " Estefania answered glancing over her shoulder, where in the back the man that was the topic of their conversation at present, was stationed. They were far away now, that he would not hear quiet murmurs.Somehow she felt that he would leave soon however. Just disappear without warning, to reappear when needed again.

"He is fairly new with our group.. though his heart is set firmly in want to defeat the French. He has fought before of course. "Or so she had been told. "..Do not worry,.. while he is a bother to have sometimes, I can handle." She smiled charmingly in return. "He is merely the.. sort of man that is more...openmouthed." She glanced at Torrington again, hoping that she had found the correct word for it.

Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 am

"Outspoken?", Edward suggested, returning the smile with a faint one of his own. Although his eyes still were slightly troubled, he was willing to change the subject, should she wish, and added, gently teasing:

"Well, if he takes his manners and actions to a point where I can successfully show off mine, you may call on me any time."

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 am

"He speaks ...what he thinks." Estefania smiled. "Is that what outspoken means?" She inquired and dipped her head in a nod. "I shall remember your promise, sir. But I assure you, your inter....ah.. intervention shall not be necessary."

With a glance at their surroundings she seemed to scan the grounds for enemies and seeing none, or perhaps hearing no warning sounds from her fellow guerilla she turned her attention again on the officer.

" I hear your home is... less dry and hot as our own." She began, unwilling to draw out the silence, but not knowing quite what she could say other than, that the French were not near now, that they were causing great trouble, or that they were grateful that the British were also about, but would desire to have some of their soldiers to be kept under stricter watch for the things they do steal as well.

"How do you, ..what do you feel about it?"

Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 am

"It is somewhat cooler, and our rain is famous. But it is home."

Edward shrugged, as if that explained it.

"Here, the climate is certainly different, but you must remember, I haven't been here long and it has not yet lost its novelty to me. In a few years I will certainly grow accustomed to the splendour of your days and and the imposing majesty of your storms. In the winter, do you have any snow here?"

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:58 am

"You would perhaps enjoy winters then. Although we do get snow in the mountains, elsewhere... it is the rainiest time of the year." She smiled. "It might be closest to what it would be like your home..." She touched the mane of her mare. She was well behaved, though she had , a couple of times, tried to go atleast a step faster than Torrington's own mount and nudged at the other animal until she was reined in. " Should you stay this long, and should the war last longer then in winter atleast the weather might bring a taste of home."

She had to tug her mare into a straighter line again, lead her about the rocks, that littered the ground in such an array that would not be comfortable to walk over, and could endanger the horse to trip or slip. Then she returned her to Torrington's side. "It will get warmer and dryer though, before it gets wet..."

Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top