Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

14th June: Building bridges of humanity

+3
John Vickery
Edward Torrington
Timothy Willoughby
7 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 Empty Re: 14th June: Building bridges of humanity

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

As soon as they had gained some cover, Torrington pulled out his spyglass. He delayed his answer until he knew what he was talking about, then said tensly.

"Uniform. A group of chasseurs - the horses are in the middle, and the soldiers are checking the buildings."

He offered his glass to Estefania so that she could see for herself if she wanted.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 7 Empty Re: 14th June: Building bridges of humanity

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Estefania took the glass gladly and turned it towards the spotted enemy. She seemed to count the number that they saw and also seemed particularly interested in what they were doing. Her body had tensed up a little, and betrayed a certain amount of hostility towards the discovered. They were French of course and thus her dislike was not unfounded.

"Let us move...." She paused and looked at him, fully aware she could not just tell him what to do." It might be of interest to move closer and gather some information on their dealings here. They might just be pillaging, or they might have an alterior motive for being here." She lowered the glass then quickly snapped it up again as she saw movement at one of the windows. The movement however rather quickly moved away from it.

"...If only we could take their horses.." She muttered quietly.
Estefania Lopes d.Almeida
Ship's Cook

Species : Guerillera
Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 am

Torrington tilted his head for a moment, considering the scene, then asked seriously:

"Does it need to be 'take' or would 'get rid of' do as well?"

He had a rather disturbing gleam in his eyes.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 am

"As long as get rid of translates into... get them out of their grasp no matter where they might head off to and not to kill them.." Estefania began and grinned at Torrington. "I am in full support of the plan!" She looked quite as excited. Horses lost to the French were already great, but the fact that those horses could later be captured and taken, was making her excitement grow even more.
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 am

"Just scare them off for a bit", he answered, still studying the scene. The suddenly he remembered who he was talking to and he carefully straightened and clamped down on all emotions.

"But I believe we should first get back to the British lines. Some of Vickery's men will be thrilled to handle that."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 am

"And let them have all the fun? Not a chance." Estefania answered firmly. She glanced at Torrington briefly before she turned towards the French again, to see what they were doing.

"While it might appear unusual to you, captain, I am as capable at seeing this through as any of your men is, perhaps more than them. Unlike them, I know the land here, and unlike them...this is my home so my motivation to see anything that hinders the French being successful is perhaps greater than theirs as well."
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 am

Torrington's jaw muscles flexed.

"But unlike them you are neither armed, nor do you outnumber the French, and - forgive me for putting it so bluntly - a female. I recall from your own conversations the atrocities the French do to women. If I let you go in there with these odds, I have no right to call myself an officer and gentleman."

It was clear that he was trying his hardest to present clear, logical arguments without contradicting her, and to keep his voice quiet, but it was hard, and it was clear that he did not particularily appreciated having this discussion right now, precariously hidden from the French.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 pm

"I may not own a rifle, but you are quite mistaken to consider me unarmed." Estefania answered simply. "Nor do I intend to storm them out in the open, or was that your plan a moment ago?" She arched a brow, her eyes locked on his face.

"Indeed, I may be a woman, but I am not stupid, captain." She straightened slightly, even under their cover. "The French in such a situation often leave a guard, while the majority search the houses for anything that they might take with them. IF we leave now to call your friends, they will be long gone." She reasoned back. "If we wait here, until or perhaps if they follow their pattern, we will be faced perhaps with two men of the opposition. The village is big enough that it may draw them a little apart, and if they feel secure enough in it.. " She pointed out a house. "...that is a..where they can find drink."

"Our horses will be useful in this and we are not here to fight them, just to have their horses run."
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 pm

"Still, a rifle, or even better a twelve-pounder would be much more effective that an brace of pistols, a sabre and ... well, whatever you have!", he retorted angrily.

The fact that she was a woman had nothing to do with his disapproval of her plan! He would have said just the same if it had been Vickery who had suggested this! ... Well, if he was truthful, he would probably have worded his opposittion a bit more cautiously in that case, but then Vickery was a professional soldier, who had the training and experience necessary to come up with a workable plan, was paid to take the risk of getting caught and would most likely be treated as a prisoner of war if caught. In case of Estefania getting caught ... He swallowed hard.

"If they find something to drink, they will stay here long enough for us to alert the others", he tried to reason with her.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 am

"You actually believe you would be able to sneak a twelve-pounder all they way here without having them noticing? May I remind you, that we are not going to fight them because even though we could probably count on the assistance of the locals in the endevour, our main goal is not to sacrifice ourselves for the cause, not this time at least, but rather to have them loose their horses. In this, we wish to have speed and stealth on our side. Stealth, to get close enough, fast enough, and speed, to get the ...get out of there as fast as possible, spooking the horses into a mad run while we do so. Should we be able to direct them for a while where we want them to run, and to make sure they do not stop....would be even better, but it is not necessary." She adjusted her coat.

"Even if they find drink, they will not wait for your army to drag your cannons here.. nor do I believe many would answer the call, sir. On the other hand I would also suggest that we take a few cuts at that bush over there. It will offer us longer 'whips' to get the horses moving." She paused and arched a brow. "And.. you as an engineer do not have and overdose of gunpowder with you at all times?"
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

The engineer took a few deep calming breaths. He was not going to let her provoke him! Although she certainly did her best, although probably involuntarily.

"I carry some, but these are war horses. Unless you are willing to hurt them, explosions alone won't be enough to send them off in panic. The only thing I can think off is thick smoke and some stench they do not know or very high or very deep sounds - which unless the church has a good organ will be hard to achieve."

He fixated her with a hard stare.

"But that still does not solve the original problem. And even with the horses gone, we have to account for the chasseurs."

He set his jaw, trying to think of something he could get her to agree on and still live with himself.

"Listen - if you ride back to the camp now, and get the hussars, they will be here in time for the finale. I will go in and find some way to take the horses out of the equation."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 am

Estefania fought hard not to roll her eyes at the man. What did he think she would do with the sticks she suggested cut from the bush? When did she suggest that they scare the horses with sound? She knew full well that they were trained to not worry about it too much!

"....Allow me to repeat. We are not going to use sound, but physical contact to set the animals into motion. The gunpowder I inquired about was for the French, not their animals, and merely a speculative thought." She patted her horse, which seemed to calm some of her nerve.

"We've managed to have plans happen, without the need to run to the British for it...captain." She said finally.
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30 pm

"Unfortunately, your plan would require you to be right behind the horses, in the middle of a village where French are all around you, within the cover of buildings and with far reaching weapons, while you have an improvised whip in your hand. I would probably be slightly better off since I have two shots, but unless your plan includes those to be for us, I don't see how they should make much of a difference."

Torrington bit the words out in angry hisses, but tried to get a hold on his temper.

"If you had any of your own men with you, our chances would be better, but as it is, you are in my company, and I would and should be held responsible, should something happen to you."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:57 pm

"I have one." Estefania answered and opened the coat slightly to reveal the weapon, though it was far from enough or to replace 10 men each holding their own. "Every man needs to load their ...gun.." She began, noting his temper flaring but acting as though it was nothing that she needed to worry about.

"I do not think they have them loaded now." It was a supposition and not fact. "That will give us an opening time of about the amount of how fast they can load and notice us coming." She gazed at him. "The two shots are for the guards... one additional shall be, in case you miss." She tilted her head a bit. "Sir, while I appreciate your generosity and your worry of my wellbeing, I would like to point out, that unless you intend to be at my side from now on till forever, that your act, while noble, would not last long enough to make certain that I survive this war. And your protection has not been had till now and I remain alive before you." She sighed. "Other than the suggestion that we may run back to your English, have you any, that we might use now? I do not have my men here, but there are the locals. And while their livelihood may be at stake if they rise against the French...they will, if they see us in danger." It was another guess, but she knew at least some that might have been willing.

"From then on we will proceed into the forest and should the men on foot follow us..." She hesitated and shrugged. "I have a plan to where we might disappear to, if needed."
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 am

"I very much doubt that, if the French were idiotic enough to search through hostile and potentially armed villages with their muskets unloaded, they would ever have managed to successfully conquer a flower pot."

His jaw settled in a rather mullish line.

"I don't particularily care what you have done before, but now that I know what you intent to do, I cannot in good conscience let you go through with it. I wish I could say, that after I delivered you safely to your home, that would change, but I'm afraid unless you desist from such suicidal plans, I will indeed have to devise some strategy to keep you safer."

He glared at the French in lieu of her.

"It would really be much easier and safer if you would go to fetch some support while I turn the horses loose."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:17 am

"So, it is fine should you go ahead alone on this suicidal plan that I have suggested, and yet we may not do it together?" She arched a brow, looking a bit offended.

"You have said yourself that we need numbers, and yet one.. as far as I have learned to count, is... indeed less than two." She shifted a bit in her saddle. She touched the neck of her mare, who looked slightly impatient. "..Let us make a new plan then and have faith in my abilities for at least this occasion. If I am wrong.. you may tell me so later." She smiled a little bolder. "You know that if I was to run back to your side, it would take me too long to convince them to follow.. a woman, and that in that time, you would be thrice a captive or a prisoner, while I would feel guilty at having abandoned you here."
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 am

"I do not wish to tell you that you are wrong, Senhora, nor doubt your abilities, but I place heavier weight on some facts than you seem to do. I look French enough in my uniform, but if they capture me, it will still protect me. Captain Vickery knows you and he knows my handwriting, so he will believe you quickly enough to get here to at least prevent them from returning to their main force. Even if I am a captive by then, you still can rescue me."

His mouth quirked in a sad, lopsided smile that did not reach his eyes.

"I wear this uniform by choice, not be necessity. There is no need for guilt on your part. If I should fail, I would feel guilty for presenting you with an unfortunate plan instead."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 pm

"I will not run and abandon you here Torrington, sir. Even if you succeed on your own and you are knowledgeable of our land by maps, I may still know more of this region than you, and know more of the language should you be captured not by French but misidentified my others." She straightened a little.

"Let us make haste instead. We have three firearms. You two, I one. We also have blades." She did not want to leave and nothing the captain could say would change her mind. "The village is built of.." She hesitated and then ventured to recount the approximate shape, size and streets of the one that they observed. She did not know it in full detail, but she had ventured through the area often enough to know which houses were important and what could be of benefit to them.

"Now, if you do not have a better plan than ridding alone against them, while you send me off, I will.." She paused as if a thought crossed her mind that seemed a much better than to continue arguing here. ".. wait, what exactly will your whole plan be, if you run at them alone?" She wanted to know the details and she made no indication as to why.
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 am

"First, not run but walk unobtrusively. Second, find something that burns with a lot of smoke and pungent smells - kitchen waste comes to mind. Third, use handkerchief, cravat and gloves, some gun powder and some ... wood splinters, if nothing else suits better, to produce some small, rather harmless, but hopefully startling grenades. Fourth, use the remaining gun powder to ignite the stinking mixture so that the wind will blow it towards the horses. Fifth, throw grenades, hopefully startling the horses into a stampede. Ideally, next get onto a horse and let the stampede carry me away, but failing that, either try to get away on my own horse, or take refuge in the chuch tower and hold them off for as long as possible. Whatever is more applicable", Torrington told her succinctly.

He very much wished to proof that he was not a complete idiot and had a bit more of a plan than simply riding in and screaming "Hussah!".
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 am

Estefania looked thoughtful for a few moments, then reached into her coat and held out a pair of fairly heavily worn gloves. "This might add up to four of the mentioned." She said. "They hardly serve me anymore." She arched a brow, studying him thoughtfully.

"You would not last long in the church tower, but I'll give you points for the courageous effort." She considered what he said for a little longer. "Well.,, I am not quite sure where you should find stinking kitchen waste in the middle of nowhere." She motioned around them. "Though, if you do get close enough to the village, you might snag something.. should there even be anything out there or.." She nodded to his horse. "dip a cloth in what ...ehh" She looked a bit at loss of what word to use that would not sound crude. But really, she meant to dip a cloth in a horse's piss.
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:02 am

"Thank you, they will indeed add to the arsenal very nicely."

Torrington accepted the proffered gloves and stuck them in his belt. Tactfully indicating that he had understood what she meant, he nodded:

"That might be a workable substitute, although I am not sure whether horses would run to it or away from it. Would the inhabitants be very upset if one of their hens had to be sacrificed? I seem to recall that burned feathers smell frankly aweful."

He had relaxed quite a bit when it appeared that Estefania was willing to give in to his plan, although he still did not completely trust her compliance. However, with his angry pride assuaged, he began to quietly ask himself just how he had managed to propose a plan he would probably have done his best to dissuade others from adopting, and why he was casting himself, who had no pretensions of being some great hero of daring deeds, as the lead player - tragic end included. He must have quietly gone mad at some point, he supposed.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:56 am

"Well, is there anything else you need me here for to assist you with.. or shall I be on my way?" Estefania asked nonchalantly. She too needed a little more time for her part of the plan and the sooner she could turn that corner the better. Her mare seemed impatient. Well, all in all she was damned if she would allow this stubborn fool to get himself killed or caught because he thought she could not be an equal partner in the scheme. She did not feel like arguing. Actions would speak louder than words.
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 01, 2014 9:46 am

Torrington considered this seriously before answering:

"Yes ... just one moment!"

He took out his notebook and made a quick sketch of the situation, added a few words, then handed the page to Estefania.

"Here, this will hopefully help Vickery a bit."

He thought it better not to mention that it would also lend more credibility to Estefania's story - especially in case she should meet another British officer who did not know her.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Estefania Lopes d.Almeida Thu May 01, 2014 8:29 pm

"Thank you." Estefania glanced at it briefly. It may turn out useful for a later time, so there was no point in saying that she did not need it. After all she was well aware that the British would not by default trust her, neither because she was an irregular, nor because she was a woman. "See you soon, sir." She said turning her mare around.

"And good luck."
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Fri May 02, 2014 7:13 am

Torrington tipped his head.

"The same to you, madam. Safe and swift ride! I will really look forward to seeing you again."

Of course, he meant with a force of soldiers who would cut him out of whatever he was getting into now.
Carefully looking around, he determined that this was the best place to leave his horse, so he dismounted.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next