Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

14th June: Building bridges of humanity

+3
John Vickery
Edward Torrington
Timothy Willoughby
7 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 Empty Re: 14th June: Building bridges of humanity

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 am

"Even should the war end tomorrow, I now would wish to see your winter once", Edward replied, meandering through a bit of rougher landscape on a different path, like in a dance coming closer, then leaving her again.

"Will the rivers still have enough water for the fields and the animals when it gets dries?", he asked, his professional interest as well a curiosity about her home roused.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

14th June: Building bridges of humanity - Page 5 Empty Re: 14th June: Building bridges of humanity

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 am

"You are welcome to stay, or to visit." Estefania answered with a pleasant smile. "We will make certain that you are given comfortable accommodation and a dry shelter from the elements." She considered his question and her shoulders lifted in a light shrug.

"It depends. Some summers the rivers become quite frail and at others, there is still plenty enough water to offer our fields or the animals a decent amount of drink. We do have showers and rain even in summer, though of course, not at all frequent. "

She thought of the past few years to paint a more accurate picture of their home during the warmer time of the year. "You will find that it gets much hotter now. It is warm to hot most of the days, but sometimes you will get a spell of much more terrible heat." she hesitated unsure if one could say it in such a manner.

"It gets very hot, so much so that it is not pleasant even if you seek shelter in shade. It does not help you. " She glanced at Torrington to see if he was still interested or whether he would have preferred her to change the subject as well or become silent. Hoping she read him well, she continued." And then the fires could become dangerous. The fighting...with muskets, with cannons.. the grass being dry, a single spark could set the whole field alight." She shook her head.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

Edward's eyebrows rose.

"Thank you - I will certainly keep that in mind. And make sure that the fires in the camp are properly banked. I would suspect that once the grass has caugth fire there is nothing but to keep it from spreading and let it burn down?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am

"If the fire spreads it is hard to contain it. Dry grass feeds the fire, and it dances across the plain with the lighest whisp of wind." Estefania answered, looking quite serious for once. "You may hope to attempt to contain it when it is small, but you must get away should stopping it no longer be possible. "

She had to guide her mare across thick roots that spread across their path. A step after step , carefully made until they were past. "How is it at your home? Does it ever grow hot..or so dry, as it does here?" She hesitated."What do you grow?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 am

"Wheat, oats, barley, peas - it depends. Some farms prefer to concentrate on breeding animals," Vickery put in, having listened to the conversation with interest. "England does not get so hot as it does here, no. It tends to be dry in summer, but cooler, and winters are cold. There is often snow. The autumn and spring are very often wet - in fact, summers can be wet, too, which is a great hindrance to farmers."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 am

"Part of our country is so low that only dams and irrigation can keep water and the tide out .. others are as steep as your hills, and only half-wild animals can be kept there."

Edward shrugged.

"It is very different from here. I hope you can see it one day."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 am

Estefania remained silent for a short while. The answers had been rather informative. It was an interesting place, most certainly, albeit much wetter though there were months when she could expect the days to be fairly dry as well. No where near as her home of course. The terrain was changing, low, high, at times unpleasant and as wild as perhaps the higher and the more remote regions of Portugal.

"I hope so as well." She spoke softly and smiled. "I would like to see your homeland, your houses, your bridges even.." She touched the neck of her mare. She gazed ahead of them. They were nearing the army again. As on cue Josef, or rather the newly joined member of their group had slunk away at one point.

"You have rather fine horses. " She knew that officers bought their own and those were the better kinds, good , quality breeds. " Some purchased here, as well,are they not?"
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Species : Civilian
Number of posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:10 pm

"Indeed we do - fine horses are to be valued, no matter where they are from," Vickery said, patting Brandy's neck. "My own horse is of Arab stock, from one of my father's horses. I had a deal of trouble bringing him across from England, but it was worth it. I have also recently acquired a second horse, I believe of Andalusian stock, although I cannot be sure."

He wondered how Society would take to the exotic beauty and unusual habits of Estefania Lopes da Almeida. She would likely be the talk of the town for a week or so - or until something else strange occurred for them to spend their calls gossiping about.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 am

"Your own horse is a very fine mare, too", Edward remarked.

"Pure Lusitano, I think?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:10 am

"I can take a look at the horse you have purchased and see what I might know of it." Estefania spoke and then gazed at Vickery's horse. She took in the distinctive traits that she could compare with other horses, before she could speak more on the matter of the horse he was presently riding however Torrington spoke. She smiled at him, lightly patting the side of her mare's neck.

"Indeed, she is. sir." She gazed at his horse as well: "I see you know your horses, sir.." She gave the animal the benefit of a good study before she spoke again: "...and yours. Zamoranos Cartujano?.. May I allow myself to be bold enough to suggest he comes from that family?" She hesitated briefly. "Though.. I do not know how you English call them."
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Species : Civilian
Number of posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:09 am

"We call the breed Andalusian Horses, but the strain is not seen often enough in my homeland to merit a translated name. We would probably call them Cathusian Horses, though", Edward replied.

The big stallion, either feeling the attention on him or prompted by some subtle command from his rider, made a few dancing steps of the passage.

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 am

"It's a beautiful specimen. Well fed but with well developed muscle and well groomed." She smiled. "I heard that the British scarcely take care of their horses,.. that they would rather by drink, than they would feed for them. But it does not hold true..." She looked also at Vickery's horse. "For either of your horses. Is it then, that such a ....uh.. trait is more the common... rider's? What do you call them? They are not soldiers, exactly.. though they do soldiering on horses." She was still searching for the word. A little longer and they would be in camp and then she would probably need to part ways with them. She certainly did not wish to impose, should they have a great deal of work, that needed doing or even should they just want to be rid of the locals.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

Edward frowned.

"You mean the troopers of the cavalry, perhaps? They are indeed sometimes not as careful with their horses as one could wish, but then, the horses are only lend to them, which for some seem to make them less deserving of proper care."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

"Yes, the troopers." She straightened in her saddle again, she rode astride the horse rather than to have both legs to one side. It was however quite logical that she would do so as it offered her more control over the horse, and greater stability.

"Lent, given or bought, the animal deserves proper care and it shall serve you well, neglect it... and it will warn the enemy of your arrival." She observed the front picquet with mild curiosity which was shared by the soldiers involved.

"And it will run slower, when you need to come away from them." Of course this was not because the horse wanted as much as because it could do no different.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Edward raised a hand in surrender. His own horse was immaculately turned out and kept as well as circumstances permitted.

"I hope Trueno will not feel the need to do so. Although he would probably prefer to spend less time climbing over difficult ground, and more time eating better food and getting groomed, I hope he is not yet at a point where he would prefer the enemy. My batman, who also is his chief groom, would be devastated."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Estefania chuckled. "Oh no sir, on the contrary. Your horse might perhaps only exchange you for your groom but certainly for noone else. He looks well groomed, as I've said before.. and he does appear well fed, concerning the circumstances. So fear not for his loyalty to you, or your side."

She smiled warmly. It was a compliment and she hoped that the officer would not feel that her comparison had included him, when she had spoken of the horses the troopers rode.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am

"Come, come, Torrington, you need not feel slighted. I do not believe the lady was referring to your own horse at all, certainly not so much that you need fear he would let you down when you most need him," Vickery said, with a smile. "After all, I do not believe you could purchase a finer mount for much under four hundred guineas, and possibly more. We are not so close to Tattersalls as that, you know."

He inclined his head to the lady. "Of course, a rider such as yourself would know where to come across as fine a mount here, in your own country, and would certainly be able to buy it at a better price than a foreigner such as myself or Captain Torrington could command."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 am

Edward ruefully glanced down at his horse.

"He would leave me for Rottlaender in an instant. After all, only I make him work. But I'm afraid he would find it boring after a time. He delights in testing my attention and horsemanship occassionally."

Patting the black's neck affectionately, he nodded towards Sombra.

"I expect it has become more difficult even for people here to buy decent mounts now? I heard the French have ... appropriated all the horses they could find."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

"As captain Torrington suggests, it is indeed much harder now to find a horse of greatest quality, though many have been successfully hidden or taken away. Others are in our possession, to serve a purpose other than to look pleasant on parade." The mention of the French had seemed to strike a nerve, for she did speak of them in Spanish and it was less polite. In her mind they were thieves, the plague of the land.

But after she seemed to calm down, her posture straighter again, her voice gentler. "...I know of places where fine mounts may still be got..Rare as they may be."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 am

For the first time since she knew him, Edward smiled at her, a ridiculously engaging, boyish grin.

"And could you perhaps, by professions of livelong gratefulness, be induced to share that knowledge with your most humble and utterly devoted servant?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 am

"I could." Estefania answered, her smile a plesantly mysterious one. She may have appeared like cat , who had known where the milk was, but she would decide if and whom to tell, a feline with the upper paw but not one that meant ill will and only toyed with the mouse.

"What sort of horse are you looking for, or would you have wished to see the stock first?" She arched a brow, Sombra neighing as if she knew what they spoke of and professed she wished to remain with her.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 am

"A mare of the quality of your own will certainly always command my interest, madam, although I would wish to send her home and not ride her here. And good hunters are too rare here to pass up any chance of acquiring one."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 am

"Should you be in the area long enough, we can ride to see the stock, and you may then evaluate, whether what is on offer, is of equal worth. But this mare i am afraid I cannot sell." She smiled again. The mare threw her head up and danced for a few steps, before she settled into her previous pace.

She rode in silence for a few moments. "Do you have many horses then, sir?..At home' Breed them?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

"My father owns a stud, and I have aquired some horses myself which add to it", Edward replied easily, trying to gauge whether it had been only a polite question or whether there was real interest behind it. He was quite willing to talk about what was admittedly one of his pet projects, but only if the lady was really interested in hearing the details.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 am

"What breeds do you own?" Estefania inquired, gazing curiously at Torrington. "Other than the ones that you have acquired here in Portugal, and possibly in Spain." She added.

She was genuinely interested. "..And how do you find them adapting to the weather that is more often moist than dry?" It was enough questions for now, let the man answer before she could inquire about more things.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next