» 7th October: Charming play
Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

New to the District

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New to the District

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 am

Edward's eyes became a touch harder, but his stance remained polite and inoffensive. In a pleasant, but certainly not very intelligent sounding voice, he answered plaintively:

"Certainly you are right: It is more than agreeable to be partnered with a lovely lady. But I fear my pleasure would be severely diminished should I feel that she does not enjoy the dance as much as I do. And I would suppose that this feeling would not improve my dancing skills at all."

Not that any lady so far had complained about them. Even his older sister, who certainly never was reticent to criticise him, had grudgingly admitted that she wouldn't mind dancing with him, should they happen to meet at a ball. Some part of his brain faintly protested that the kind of battle he was now waging with Mr. Woodmarsh should be beneath him, but ... well, but.

But he kept an eye on Miss Vickery. Should she give any indication that she wanted this to stop, he would immediatly comply. His own amusement here was in no way important enough to subject her to any discomfort.

Story !  God bless you !  I have none to tell, Sir.
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 am

"I am astonished, sir, to think that the good Captain might not enjoy dancing. If that is indeed the case, then I shall not hold him to his offer to dance with me at the next assembly we find ourselves attending together," Emma replied, a little archly.

If Woodmarsh and Torrington knew each other, then perhaps Woodmarsh had the knowledge to criticise the Engineer officer, but Emma did not think that they had met before - certainly Torrington had not introduced her to Woodmarsh, which he certainly would have done had they any former acquaintance. Therefore, Woodmarsh knew nothing of whether Torrington could dance, or whether he enjoyed dancing, or anything about it

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

Species : Civilian; Lady
Number of posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 am

Edward's eyes widened in surprise and appreciation. The dart was deserved. He should never have left his flank open like this.

"I must protest that I would very much enjoy dancing with you, Miss Vickery, if you could find it in yourself to enjoy the dance, too. I promise to faithfully practice my steps until then at every opportunity."

Edward Torrington
Commander

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 am

She smiled at Torrington. "I should certainly enjoy dancing with you, sir. One who has such an appreciation of music as you must certainly be able to keep in time in a country dance, after all. I shall keep two dances for you the first time we meet at an assembly."

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:48 am

Jenny peered into the room, too in w daze to see propertius, uttering double vision atom the doctot's physick
"Newbury," she asked gazing around ith a blearily look in her eye
"I'm just looking for a friend, hr's color blind. Color penc
White paper and a sharpener, remind me,"

Ther were two young ladies, several a gentlemen, two wellesleys and with any luck two of her as well. Maybe two newburys errr hiding about,

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Species : Camp follower, 60th Rifles
Number of posts : 1026

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jenny-

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:15 am

"I would be honou ... red!"

Edward stopped half-bowing, as suddenly somebody else appeared. Somebody who seemed to be in not too good a shape. Somebody he had seen before. It took him a moment before he had connected the dots, but the mention of Newbury helped. Then he abruptly strode over and held out a hand to catch Jenny's elbow. If possible, he would prefer if she didn't fall.

"Miss ... Ross, isn't it? Are you alright?"

He tried to screen her a bit from the rest of the room. Whether she was sick, drunk or simply upset, it would probably be more pleasant both for her and for the rest of the company (Edward strictly forbade himself to think of Miss Vickery especially and his Commander-in-Chief and his sharp tongue) if this could be quietly sorted.

(OOC: Sorry, I completely forgot this thread ... Embarassed )

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:26 am

And now there were two identical gentlemen holding her up by the elbow. Or perhaps it was one man and she was seeing him twice. Why was that, she wondered? "I'm looking for my friend."

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jenny-

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 am

Edward frowned.

"Rifleman Newbury? I haven't seen him, but it's not impossible that he is in one of the other rooms."

A sudden thought intruded.

"Or are you here with Lieutenant Woodmarsh?"

For quite selfish reasons, he fervently hoped not. One Woodmarsh was definitely enough in this room, especially with a general and a lady to spread their feathers for.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 am

At the sound of another woman's voice, Emma had got to her feet, heedless of what the men thought.

"Is she all right? Does she require sal volatile - smelling salts?" she asked, reaching for her vinaigrette, which she always had close to hand (her mother's nerves were infamous in the Saltash house).

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am

"Oh." She did not care about Woodmarsh, so she ignored the question about him. Rifleman Newbury in another room, right. She turned around again and staggered towards the door.

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel Woodmarsh on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:23 pm

The sight of another lady entering the room was a pleasing one indeed, even if she was a bit out of sorts. Samuel quickly stood and came over to her. Torrington had already taken hold of the lady, lest she might fall, but Samuel was more than willing to lend her extra assistance. Although the mention of his brother did give him pause. Did this lady know Gareth? Samuel tried not to wrinkle his nose at the thought. If his brother had already staked a claim on her, then he would have no chance whatsoever.

"Miss, wait!" he said as she began to stagger away, "Am I to understand that you are acquainted with Lieutenant Woodmarsh?" He hoped the answer would be no. "If so, you will not find him around here."

Samuel Woodmarsh
Ordinary Seaman

Species : Gentleman of Leisure
Number of posts : 41

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1752-samuel-woodmarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:46 pm

'And here we go ...' Fortunately good manners prevented Edward from uttering that thought. Instead he tightened his grip on Miss Ross' elbow - she really was none too steady on her feet - and said softly:

"Wait, Miss Ross, you are in no fit condition to search the house alone!"

The bell-pull was too far away, but he could reach the door without having to let go of her, so he opened it and called out for a servant. When one appeared, he ordered curtly, yet not unfriendly:

"Please find out if Rifleman Newbury is in this house, and if yes, send him here immediatly!"

Then he looked at Emma, a faint plea in his eyes; he realized that Jenny was not well, but he had no idea whether the situation called for smelling salts, a doctor or a cup of tea.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 am

"I don't want Woodmarsh," she said with a scowl. Her attempt to leave the room had only caused her to pivot around, and she was confused to find herself suddenly sitting upon a settee beside a rather elegant and pretty young lady. What was this place? "I beg your pardon, my lady," she murmured, trying to rise.

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 am

Captain Torrington was supporting the newly-arrived girl... to call her a 'lady' was possibly to raise her to too high a rank, but 'woman' was... somewhat demeaning. He opened the door to call for a servant before turning to Emma with an expression which blended a plea for help with a faint look of panic.

"The sofa, here," Emma said, decisively, moving the tea-tray so that the other woman's skirts should not catch it and send it clattering to the floor. "Don't be silly," she added firmly as the newcomer tried to protest, sounding somewhat faint. She took the girl's hands in her own to begin chafing her wrists a little, unsurprised to find that the woman's hands were rougher than her own. "Do you feel faint at all?" she added.

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 am

"Yes miss, my lady, madam... It's my head, I'm sorry, if I can just..." She leaned her head on the back of the little sofa and closed her eyes. "Just for a moment," she mumbled, "then I'll go and fmnmbrmmm..."

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 am

"'Miss' is fine," Emma said, and pressed her vinaigrette into the other woman's hand. "Here, you may want this," she added, and looked up. "A glass of brandy, if you would be so kind," she said, addressing the room at large.

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 am

"Certainly!"

Edward immediately went over to the Tantalus and poured a generous measure into a glass. It was somehow comforting that obviously some women preferred the same first aid measures as he did.

When he came back and handed Emma the glass, he found himself confronted with another dilemma, however. Since he knew Jenny, certainly he was obliged to at least tell Emma her name, but how was he supposed to introduce her? Unfortunately he had already mentioned Woodmarsh, and he credited Emma with enough intelligence to work out his likely connection to a woman of very engaging appearance, but low social class. Actually, he had already committed what might be constructed a major social blunder by not having whisked Jenny from immediately from Emma's sight, keeping in mind that she was a gently reared young lady and his friend's sister. But firstly he found that kind of behaviour frankly idiotic - and for more than one reason - and secondly, he had a feeling that Emma wouldn't thank him for it either. He settled for brevity.

"Miss Ross, allow me to name to you the Honourable Miss Vickery, Captain Vickery's sister. Miss Vickery, Miss Ross is one of the women who follow our camp."

He had taken a position standing next to the sofa, ready to carry out further instructions or deal with whomever came through the door next.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 am

"Captain Vickery?" Jenny mumbled, looking around in confusion.

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 am

"He is my brother," Emma replied, going slightly pink. She took the glass that Torrington was holding out, and offered it to Miss Ross. "Sip it slowly," she cautioned, looking up gratefully at Torrington, who was standing next to the sofa, seemingly ready to carry out her least whim.

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 am

Edward inclined his head slightly, conveying his own thanks for her capable handling of the situation. Really, crossing a room to get a bit of brandy was nothing compared to dealing with a sick person.

Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 am

It really made no sense at all, but Jenny nodded anyway and accepted the brandy, making a face as she sipped it. "The surgeon already gave me summat for my head. I was going to sleep in the newbrary." And she curled up and laid her head on a cushion.

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:52 am

The where? Emma looked up at Torrington with a puzzled look on her face. "Does anyone know if there is somewhere she could lie down?" she asked, again addressing the room at large. "I do not think that this drawing room is the most... convenient place to go to sleep," she added, talking to Miss Ross herself now.

Really, this was the strangest place - and the most peculiar situation.

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am

If Miss Ross had a suggestion, she did not share it. Her eyes were already closed and she was well on her way to sleep.

Played by sans nom
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am

"I think," the general said stiffly, having watched the whole display in a baffled and somewhat disgusted silence. "That she shall be quite safe in one of the guest rooms. There are several along the corridor from here,one of which I am certain will be vacant."

Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:12 am

Emma looked up helplessly. "Perhaps someone could ring for a footman to move her," she said. It would be extremely undignified for a gentleman to do so, of course, particularly if she was merely a camp follower.

Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top