Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House

Go down

To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House Empty To the Rt Hon. the Viscountess Saltash, Fallbrooke House

Post  John Vickery Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Letter dated 28th July 1809

Madam,

Please accept my humblest apologies for my impropriety in addressing you as I had and allow me to assure yr Ladyship that I meant no slight.

I must inform you that I am acquainted with Capt. B- and he informs me that his brother's attentions towards my sister must not be encouraged as he is likely to break her heart should they develop a tendre. I urge you in the strongest terms to warn the fellow off, and have likewise written to my sister to inform her of Mr B-s character.

I do not hunt, although the countryside here is very good for the sport, as I find my duties unavoidable. A Captain in the Sixtieth has more to do than a Captain in a Line Regt, as we are on detached service and so I must look to the running of my Company first. You will be all amazement when I tell you of a fellow officer in the 95th who has a pack of dogs and hunts at every opportunity – I believe Sir Arthur Wellesley himself rode out with them recently.

As part of those duties, I find myself often in the company of Capt the Ld Torrington, eldest son of his Ldship the Earl of Gleve. You may be acquainted with Lady Thine; she is Ld Torrington's elder sister. I mentioned in my last letter that their younger sister is to be presented this Season.

We must make our own entertainment out here for we are not so fortunate as to be able to visit the theatre or to hold assemblies. The officers of the Light Division lately gave a performance of The Rivals by Mr. Sheridan, and Sir Arthur himself rode over to see it – above thirty miles of open countryside, and was at his work before breakfast the following day.

I hope that my Father and Sister are well, and send my congratulations to Robt. Please tell my Father that I am grateful for his offer of money for a new horse, and I shall certainly let him know when I find one suitable.

My duties call and so I must close.

I remain your most humble and obdt son &c,

Jno Vickery
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down