Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

14th June: Morning beauty

+2
John Vickery
Edward Torrington
6 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

14th June: Morning beauty - Page 2 Empty Re: 14th June: Morning beauty

Post  John Vickery Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:00 am

"It is, thank you," Vickery said, inclining his head a little. "And yes, this is one of my men." He wasn't sure whether she would understand the minor differences between the 60th and the 95th.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:02 am

"If he is of your regiment, why are his cuffs and collar not red, as his, and your own?" He indicated the parts of the uniform that she thought were not the same. "Is he of a special...."She searched for a word, but could not find it in English and so she hoped that perhaps Vickery would know to answer her question even without it.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Species : Kitty-in-disguise
Number of posts : 983

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 am

"He is a different regiment from mine, but currently under my command," Vickery hastened to explain. It was simplifying things a little, but hopefully would clear up the misunderstanding.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 am

"Ah." She smiled and nodded. It did make sense now. She knew of the 60th and now that she recalled there were the KGL and then there were the 95th so very similar to each other. He could be either of the two, but in all he was at the present time in service of this man.

"Thank you, senhor. Could you kindly ask your man, that he might remove his weapon as I am not inclined to cause harm to you, nor your fellow officer or your young assistant." She assumed the green coated boy was a sort of assistant to Vickery, perhaps a replacement for another, she had heard was missing.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am

"Certainly." He switched to English. "You may lower your rifle, thank you, Mayden. She will not hurt any of us."

Last edited by John Vickery on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong man!)
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 am

Edward had reacted to the apology with a silent bow. Certainly the mistake was understandable, but it became rather tiresome. He wondered whether General Wellesly and his staff, who for them most part wore blue as well, ever had to face similar problems.

At Rottländer's now silently pantomimed question, he motioned him to clean up the fragments of his breakfast. Rightening his own stool, which had been knocked over during the first confusion, Edward wordlessly offered it to the rider, should she wish to continue their conversation in a less distanced manner and dismount.

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Mayden Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 am

Somehow, Mayden doubted that, but he lowered his rifle anyway. He would keep it in hand until the woman departed for even if the officers trusted her, he did not.
Sam Mayden
Sam Mayden
Ship's Cook

Species : Rifleman; 95th Rifles
Number of posts : 188

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/samuel

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am

"Thank you." She did feel more at ease with the rifle not aimed at her back. While she meant no harm, she knew a man's finger might twitch, and a weapon fire, by accident as much as want. She preferred to have her back covered for such an occasion.

Seeing the invitation from the blue coated man, she glanced at the array of things he had brought with him, that he was no longer using at the moment, yet they looked quite interesting and unusual. "May I join you, gentlemen?" She asked, not minding where the young rifleman would run off to.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Freddie looked dolefully at the crockery he picked up. One platter and the coffee-pot had survived relatively intact, but the others were now chipped, and the translucent cup he liked so much even had broken into several pieces.

The chair had only fallen to its side, so he picked it up and placed it beside Captain Torrington's table, steering well clear of that mysterious woman. He was not sure what the officers had discussed with her, but the situation seemed to have relaxed now, which meant that Freddie the Rifleman had to become Freddie the Batman again. This poor individual, however, was faced now with two important, but unanswerable questions: Was he supposed to redo the breakfast and would it have to include that woman as well? And where would he get enough eggs and toast quickly enough for it?
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Species : Rifleman, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 442

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1678-friedrich-rottlander

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 am

With another short bow, Edward offered her the now available, more comfortable chair.

"It would be a pleasure, Ma'am."

He wasn't quite sure what to make of this young lady. Captain Vickery obviously was acquainted with her, yet she had tried to ambush him when he had talked to someone looking French, even if they weren't that far out of the camp. As Captain Vickery was certainly no traitor, but could in his capacity as an officer under several circumstances be called upon to interact with an enemy officer, that led to the assumption that either her suspicions or her hate for the French was rather deep-rooted.
Puzzling was also her single appearance: Were her companions still in hiding somewhere, or had she come alone, which was unusual and dangerous on several accounts? Was she one of the guerillias he had heard about? Rumour had it that several well-born females had joined them and were now considered quite dangerous fighters.

In this case it had been very fortunate that ... Mayden was the man's name, as Edward recalled ... had stopped her before this misunderstanding had gone further. He nodded to the man, acknowledging his contribution, then looked unobtrusively at Vickery. The Captain knew more about the situation than he did; how would he decide to proceed?
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:22 pm

"I became acquainted with Miss Lopes after my men had an unfortunate encounter with the French," Vickery said, and a rueful look crossed his face. "Indeed, meeting Miss Lopes is about all I can recall of that day. I believe she is involved somehow with the ordenança, the Portuguese irregulars."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Estefania took the offered chair, slipping gracefully into it. "Thank you, again Lord Torrington and most heartfelt apologies for the misunderstanding. It were easier if some of the coats did not share such similarities. I do promise, I shall acquaint my men with the difference, so that you or your own do not encounter difficulties."

She then gazed at Captain Vickery, her lips curling into a smile. His words were certainly flattering. "Yes. Indeed. I serve my home.." She thought the word was fairly appropriate: " with the ordenança making sure that the French are hard pressed when thinking of stealing from our people. We had thought the captain here was lost. Even when I have come to see him, .. it is safe to say, it fills me with joy to see him feeling so well, at the present, Sir Vickery. "

She tilted her head a bit. "I have not disturbed you before breakfast, have I?" Her eyes skimming towards the boy.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 am

He inclined his head a little. "You flatter me, senhora. And you mistake - I am not a lord, I am merely a Captain." He smiled at her. She really was very pretty, he thought. "We were just talking." They had been about to have breakfast, and he wondered if that was now to be postponed. It wasn't for him to say either way, of course, as Torrington's guest, but he vaguely hoped that she would stay if there was breakfast to be had.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:00 am

Edward nearly raised an eyebrow at the rather curious mistake in Vickery's title, but left it for the other man to correct. Instead he said politely:

"Not at all, Ma'am. Would you do us the honour of joining us? A new pot of coffee should be ready in a minute. Or would you perhaps prefer tea?"

Now that the tone had become more sociable, Edward felt decidedly better equipped to deal with the situation. Portuguese irregular or not, the young woman was still a lady and an acquaintance of Captain Vickery, and that meant that she was entitled to his best manners.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:28 am

"Pardon me, senhor Vickery." She spoke politely, smiling. "But do your mean not call you sir?" The English were a strange sort, yet pleasant company. Both men acted as would be expected from a member of politer society even if they were both also soldiers and were rough diamonds as much as polished pearls.

She gave a very light chuckle , gazing at Torrington. "I would be grateful for whatever you might have at hand. I certainly do not wish to be a.." She hesitated again, for though she knew a fairly good amount of English there were sometimes the silliest words that she had to remember. "trouble, bother?" She inclined her head a little. "And I would be honoured just the same, lord?" He was to be called such or else, she would really inquire on what one need call the English to be quite proper and not touch nerves or hurt feelings or worse.

From feeling ready to slice through the throats of her enemy, she had encountered instead the fine company and thought that she was not yet in a hurry, her duties not limited by the hour. "Ah,.. may I just.." She should not have forgotten, really. "Bring my mare from the wood, I would not want her taken." She began to get to her feet, to do just so.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:41 am

"They do," Vickery confirmed. "But not in conjunction with my name. Were I to be a knight, it would be Sir John, however. Though I am not a knight and therefore it is simply Captain." An explanation of the intricacies of British aristocratic titles could wait, however. He did have a title, of course, but only as the younger son of a Viscount, which meant that, unlike the son of a Duke or an Earl who would naturally take his father's second title as a courtesy title, he was simply the Honourable John Vickery. And even taking that into consideration, he was still properly addressed as 'sir'.

"You need not trouble yourself, I can get one of my men to bring her in for you... unless of course you think he would encounter your men and thus run into trouble?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:54 am

She understood. While it was somewhat complicated it made sense enough. With the name it was improper, but without it, it was the correct title to address him. His leaving of his own introduction to only being captain sparked interest and curiosity, but politely she declined to inquire. If the honourable captain - in this sense speaking of his honour, not title - would want to present himself, he would.

"He might run into some trouble." She smiled, and there was no knowing whether there were still men out there or not. She straightened. "But it might be with the mare, rather than my men." She glanced in the direction where her mare remained in waiting and then gazed at the captain. "If one could only untie her. She'll come."
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:03 am

"Of course, if you would prefer to see to her yourself, please do not let me detain you," he said, thinking that after all, that might be the easiest option.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:08 am

Estefania nodded and adjusted her coat. She paused only for a moment to ask: "Sir, Captain. Where may I leave her, once she is brought here?"
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:58 am

Vickery considered. "How is she with other horses? You may leave her safely with my own gelding, Brandy, if you think that she will be all right there."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:03 am

"She is well behaved, though perhaps somewhat...." She shrugged and nodded. "I think she will not mind that sort of company. You will show us where Brandy is?" A peculiar name for a horse. Was another called Wine? Or something similar? She looked amused, though remained polite so as not to say anything of it.

Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:12 am

"Certainly," Vickery said, and turned to see if Cotton was anywhere nearby.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:26 am

"Excellent." The woman answered and without further ado she left the two men in the direction of her horse. She moved easily across the hard terrain that Portugal had to offer.

For a moment she was gone, and then she reappeared, with her horse lead by her reins. Only, half way she must have decided to ride her back, for with a smooth thrust of her feet against ground, she hauled herself onto the back of her dark horse. She did not ride side saddle as English ladies might, but then her whole garment had already suggested she might not. Of course the woman could not have passed the opportunity to display the prowess of her mare, and so with the gate of a noblest animal, the creature proceded forward. Her tail was up proudly, her feet stretching out infront of her in a controlled trot. Her head held at the right height, not too high, certainly not low, eyes alert and nostrils flaring. When the ground had become more demanding, her gait did change and yet kept some of its grace and light footetness.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:05 am

Vickery had not seen a woman ride astride before, and he was not entirely sure that he liked it. It seemed altogether too risqué and masculine for his taste, he found.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:16 am

Estefania leaned forward so that her right leg skipped from one side of the horse and joined her left standing on one stirrup. Her other leg was now free, and the rider merely leaned against the animal and its saddle.

She had done so when quite close, and hoped off completely, when she was about to pass the captain. Her mare halted obediently, her ears twitching in the direction of the two officers.

Estefania looked at Vickery with an arched brow, and then gave a quick bow. "Sombra is ready to be escorted to her present station."
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next