Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

An Awkward Conversation, 10th June

4 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 Empty Re: An Awkward Conversation, 10th June

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Cotton nodded, before stooping to unbuckle the mare's girth strap and get the saddle off her. "It is, why?" he said, as Brandy whickered before blowing in his ear. "Stop that, you!"
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

An Awkward Conversation, 10th June - Page 2 Empty Re: An Awkward Conversation, 10th June

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 am

Maggie was quite mortified to remember the last time - in fact the first time - that she and Captain Padstowe had met. She took comfort by telling herself that he had probably put it completely from his mind. But just in case he hadn't... "I don't want him to see me is all."
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:42 am

"Oh?" Cotton had the strap unbuckled and paused in removing the saddle. "How come? He seemed all right to me."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:40 am

Her look was shifty, evasive. "Oh he's all right. I'm gonna go an' see Martha. I mean - " Of course Martha was still with the French. She cast about in her mind quickly. "I want to find McIntyre. I've got some scraps for that dog of his."
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:43 am

"What's eatin' you, Maggie?" Cotton asked, concerned. He put the saddle down and grasped her arm, frowning a little in consternation as he looked at her. "He... Listen to me, do. He said he knows it weren't me as did it, an' he'd've spoken for me if he could. He wouldn't go sayin' that if it weren't true - he'm a proper gentleman, y'know."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:45 am

She cringed and inhaled sharply, looking up at him with startled eyes as he took her arm.
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:08 am

He shook his head and went to slip his arm around her shoulders, but dropped his arm and stepped back instead, stung by her reaction to him. "I'm sorry, I never meant to startle you. I jus'... I'm sorry."

Last edited by Gabriel Cotton on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 am

She took a deep breath, then another, and another, her arms folded tightly up to her chest. When she had caught her breath, she reached tentatively for his hand, if he was willing to take it, and then pressed herself against his protective form. "I'm sorry, Gabe, I'm sorry." She knew that it must pain him every time his innocent actions drew such horrified reactions from her, his wife. "It's Captain Padstowe."
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:36 am

He swallowed and put his arms around her, holding her tightly to him. "Yes, I know it's Captain Padstowe. But what is it about him that's got you all worked up, sweeting? I told you he don't blame me - nor you - for what happened to him." Or his watch, he added, mentally, though unable to bring himself to say the words aloud.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 am

Gabe must have forgotten what she had told him about Oporto, and that evening when she and Martha had blundered into Captain Padstowe's lodgings by mistake. "He knows all about..." Her voice trailed off and then dropped to a whisper. "He knows about Sergeant Hakeswill. I wish I hadn't a' told him."

Her face was burning and she knew it must be about as red as Gabe's collar. She tried to tell herself that Captain Padstowe had forgotten, that naturally an officer would take no notice of a common woman's troubles, that he had more important things on his mind and would not have remembered that trivial conversation, and would not remember that she was in any way connected with Cotton or Vickery or the rifles at all - but it was useless. Her mind insisted on believing that he was probably talking about her right now.

"I need to go away before he sees me," she whispered miserably.
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 am

"About...?" Cotton frowned, puzzled for a moment, then his expression cleared. "About Hakeswill and you? Why're you worried what he might think about that?" He held her closer. "I don't understand, Maggie. Why would he think any less of you 'cause someone jumped you the way he was jumped hisself?"

He found himself stroking her hair, trying to soothe her, and looked up into the face of one of the horses who had moved around to investigate them.

"Get away out of it, you," he said to the animal, pressing Maggie a little closer to him.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 am

Her mouth dropped open in horror. "Don't say that. Don't say that!" she exclaimed, pulling herself away from Cotton. "He mighta tried to kill Captain Padstowe, but it's not the same. I wish he'd killed me." She moved to the other side of her donkey so that the animal was between them, and she fumbled angrily through the saddlebag. "There. Take them cakes to your captain, the ones I made for him yesterday, and leave me be." She held a cloth-wrapped bundle out to him with a frown.
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 am

"God damn it, woman!" Cotton said as Maggie pulled away from him. "I can't do or say nothin' without puttin' me foot in it. Will you bloody well tell me what it is with Captain Padstowe afore I... afore I go an' ask him?"

He blinked as she thrust a bundle into his chest, grabbing reflexively at it before it could tumble into the dirt.

He sighed. "Look, I'm sorry I said what I done, all right? Only please stop jumpin' all over me when I get it wrong. 'Cause I'm damn lucky if I get it right, the way things are right now." He dropped his hands to his side. "I'm sorry, I really am."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 am

"Leave me alone!" she shouted. "Just leave it the bloody hell alone!" She turned and ran from him.

[Continued here]

Last edited by Maggie Cotton on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 am

Damn. Damn it all.

He shoved the cloth package irritably into one of Captain Vickery's saddlebags, where it would be secure enough, and dug out a brush to begin brushing Captain Padstowe's Bethany down, feeling that the methodical work of cleaning the horse was the only thing that would restore his usual even temper.

"Can't open me bloody mouth without puttin' me foot in it, can I?" he muttered, brushing the horse's flank in long sweeping strokes. "Bugger it all."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 am

Vickery looked up, startled by an angry yell in a familiar female voice. Mrs Cotton did not sound at all happy, and the officer wondered what on earth had upset her enough to make her shout like that.

"I beg your pardon, Captain," he said, turning back to Padstowe. "You were telling me about your own injuries, in Lisbon, I believe." Or at least, Vickery had just asked about them, although Padstowe had not begun to reply.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:41 am

Padstowe seemed not to have heard. His attention, like Vickery's, had been caught by the screeching female voice; but his eyes had stayed rivetted on the figure in skirts that had hurried away from where Cotton was now brushing down Bethany with some vigour.

"Was that Maggie Evans?" he asked, frowning. What was it that could have upset her so?
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Species : Wellesley's Staff
Number of posts : 3594

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

"Yes, it was. Well. She's Maggie Cotton, now - she married my man in Oporto, two days after we took the place."

What had happened between the two of them that had so put her out of sorts, though?

"Do you know her, then, Captain?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:13 pm

"More a passing acquaintance," Padstowe said, turning his gaze back to his fellow captain. "She came into my billet by mistake whilst looking for yours in Oporto. She..."

Here Padstowe hesitated, wondering if he should impart the full details of Maggie's ordeal. How much did Vickery know already?

"She was quite distraught. She had been beaten and abused most cruelly."
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 am

"Yes, I know something of it. She managed to catch the column up a couple of days after we had left Coimbra. I don't like to think what she went through to do so." He sighed. "I had thought that Cotton was a good match for her. I hope they will be able to overcome their differences."

It could not be easy for either of them, but they were strong people and seemed to be good for each other.

"Cotton is devoted to her, you know. He was quite distracted when he found she was not with the column after leaving Coimbra. He had no idea what had happened, of course. I believe that if he had, he would have remained behind himself to be with her."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am

Padstowe's eyebrows shot up.

"You know all about it, then?"
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:04 am

"I know a fair bit about it. I would not presume to say I know 'all' about it." He relented. "Don't forget that Cotton is my soldier-servant."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:09 am

"Don't mistake my meaning," Padstowe said. He sighed, wincing at a brief stab of pain from his shoulder. "You were asking how I came about my injuries in Lisbon. The truth is, John, Maggie Cotton - as she is now - stuck in my mind because I believe her assailant to be one in the same with the man who beat me within an inch of my life."
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 am

"Ah," Vickery said, adjusting his position a little, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees so he could steeple his fingers. "I wonder what he has against Cotton, that he would set him up in the way that he did." Would he really do what he had, simply because Cotton had been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Vickery had a nasty feeling that that was a question with an affirmative answer.

"And of course he would have made sure that the only ones who can swear to his identity are those who cannot do so because they cannot accuse a Sergeant."

He did not think, either, that Maggie would be willing to testify again, against anybody, after what had happened the last time.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 am

Padstowe shot Vickery a sharp glance.

"You know who it was then?" he demanded.
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next