» 7th October: Charming play
Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Time for Tea, 11th June

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Time for Tea, 11th June

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 am

Captain the Honourable John Vickery had mostly recovered from the rather nasty gash in his side and the equally discomfiting concussion he had suffered at the same time, and found himself walking through his men's bivouac, exchanging friendly greetings with the men under his command.

He found himself near a small fire where Pye was sitting, tending to his chick, almost oblivious to anything going on around him. He watched the young Rifleman for a moment; he certainly seemed very attentive to the ball of fluff.

"Afternoon, Zack," he said, eventually, smiling down at the Rifleman.

Last edited by John Vickery on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

King George commands, and we obey
Over the hills and far away ~ Traditional

An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier will not be confident in executing them.
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Re: Time for Tea, 11th June

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:56 am

If Vickery had wanted to see Pye to an early grave, he had been on a good path to do so. Pye had been so distracted in taking care of his chick and feeding her new grain, that he had been ignorant of everything that went on around him. Somebody might have stolen away with his knapsack and he might only have noticed once it was gone.

He jumped and felt that his heart might have skipped several beats. "Sah!" He spoke, too loud, the chick chirping unhappily as she nearly saw her own end, with the abrupt change of scenery and height. Her owner was standing now. "Afternoon, sah." The lad spoke, making an excellent impression of a deer caught in the lamplight or... just caught of guard really.

'Green is the best colour for light troops and if put on in the spring, by autumn it nearly fades with the leaves.' J. G. Simcoe
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

"I beg your pardon," Vickery said. He hadn't intended to scare Pye half into next week, although apparently that's just what he had done. "At ease - as you were." He indicated that Pye should sit down again. "Do you mind if I join you?"

An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier will not be confident in executing them.
John Vickery
Captain

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

"Mind sir?" Pye stammered, promptly planting himself back down onto his spot. Luckily he had no injury to speak of, that might make such an abrupt descend uncomfortable. "No sir, not at all sir." He looked shocked. "'wot... 'wot would you like to have sir?" He could not exactly offer him grain, stupid.

He looked to his side where the captain would sit and hastly swiped at the spot to make it clean. "Is this a'right for you, sir?" If it wasn't the captain needed nothing but to say it. He'd make personally sure the other had the finest spot in the whole of their camp!

'Green is the best colour for light troops and if put on in the spring, by autumn it nearly fades with the leaves.' J. G. Simcoe
Zachary Pye
Captain

View user profile http://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:07 am

"That's fine, thank you, Pye," Vickery said, trying to hide a smile as the Rifleman attempted to clean a patch of grass for him. "I wouldn't say no to a cup of tea, if there's one available," he added, sitting down and smiling across at Pye's pet ball of fluff.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 am

"Right 'way sir. Will do, sir." Pye placed the chick down. The little animal gazed at Vickery, then she studied her master and seemed to be debating why she had been placed down earlier than she was meant to be.

She decided to inspect the captain up close and while her master seemed all too busy with the kettle, she made a run towards Vickery's foot. She stopped inches from it, chirping. With the confidence poorly comparable to her size, she hopped on Vickery's foot and chirped, fluffing up to make herself look big.

Pye had had his own tin mug, which was had been kept up to standard, ever since they had returned. He cleaned his kit with the same amount of fever than when he was in the 33rd. Only now, he probably did not need to exhaggarate as much.

"..Sir'n.. you'll have yer tea in that?" He indicated the mug that the man had with him. If he wanted it, he was better to be willing to part with it for the amount of time needed to pour in the tea. The liquid was just about ready.

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am

"Helloa, you," Vickery said to the chick as it hopped up onto his boot before chirping at him. He looked up at Pye and reached for his own tin mug. "Thank you, Pye," he added, handing it over, before looking back down to the yellow ball of fluff. "I'm not going to hurt him, all right? I just want to have a bit of a talk."

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:23 am

"Talk, sir? Aye sir." He had dreaded the moment, though he had wished to talk with the captain again, he feared that that sort of hospitality, of trust and comfort was forever lost. He chewed on his lip as he filled the mug with tea. "Don't got sugar.. sir." He said apologetically, wishing he could have run up to Cotton and asked the man to give it so that Vickery could have enjoyed his drink in a proper gentlemanly way.

The chick blinked and hopped about on the shoe before chirping again then pecking at the shoe tenderly. "Peggy." Pye warned the little creature. "'s a captain. Off with you!" His cheeks were red with embarrassment. "please 'scuse her, sir. She don't know what she's doin'."

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am

"She's not hurting anything, and I wouldn't dream of telling her to shoo," Vickery replied. "And yes, talk. Chat. I seem to recall telling you once that I like having a friendly chat with my men over a cup of tea." He indicated the mug of steaming smouch that he'd been offered. "If you were in trouble, which you are not, I wouldn't be here, engaging you in a friendly conversation like this, would I?"

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 am

"No, sir. I only thought..couse of.." Pye visibly relaxed, and managed a genuine smile. Which, by his attention being elsewhere, nearly resulted in burning himself with the hot tea. He bit his lip not to curse infront of the captain and after a few moments of mmph, he could yet again speak.

"Tea, sir." He offered the mug back, and then went to fill his own. The chick had found itself a comfortable spot on top of Vickery's shoe and was now resting.

"..I'm honoured yer come sir." Pye said, smiling timidly. "t' tea's not so good as Cotton makes it, sorry." He added apologetically.

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

"Careful there, that mug's hot," Vickery said, a moment too late, as Pye caught his hand on the hot mug. "Don't worry about it - I've had smouch before, although Cotton's likely to have a fit over it." He took the offered mug, putting it down beside him so the tea could cool for a moment. "How are you finding it in the Rifles?" he asked, offering a finger to the chick before reaching to stroke her head - if she would let him do so.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am

"I like it sir. Really do." The lad answered and approached his old spot again. He did not dare sit unless told so though. The chick did not move and seemed to enjoy the attention enough for now. She did sense this man was not dangerous, but seemed somewhat important to his master so it was smarter not to attack him.

"..wot' recently happened didn'mean I've thought any differen't at all. Couse I didn't. Not fer a moment. Sir."

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 am

"At ease, Pye - sit down, do," Vickery said, and debated with himself whether he ought to say the next words or not. "You're not in trouble. I do want to just talk with you - off the record. If you have any problems, I need you to know that you can tell me about them. You need to be able to trust me, and if you only ever see me at inspections or parades, you won't be able to do that."

He grinned at the chick. "I told you, didn't I, that when an officer wants to join the Rifles, he has to train in a squad with the men?"

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Pye sat himself down comfortably, though he was not yet fully at ease. It would come in time. With a couple of minutes, perhaps after the conversation would have become less awkward. He observed Mister Vickery quietly. The chick chirped softly, as if to announce it approved of where the conversation was going even if probably she did not even know what they were saying.

"Aye. I think you said so, sir. That you train with t' res' of t' men. That's not like t' other regiments do it. " He smiled. "I .. I think it's better couse then you know t' men...n' wot'not. 'Couse.. couse you don't see them jus' fer inspections. Jus' like wot' you said, sir."

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Vickery nodded. "Being Riflemen, there are times that I may give some strange orders. Now, if you don't know me very well, you might not want to obey an order you don't properly understand. But if you know me and know that you can trust me, you'll be more willing to obey an order that doesn't make sense."

He picked the mug up and blew the steam off the tea it held. "And besides that, with the 60th being on detached duties, we have to get along, or life would be a lot harder than it needs to be." Especially for the men, of course - an officer could make his men's live hell if he chose to.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 pm

"I'd follow yer orders n'matter wot' sir." He could not even think it could be in any way different than that. Even with his former training. Only now, he stood behind it not only because of the duty but because he genuinely wanted to furfil and order given by that man.

"Sir..may I ask summat. Well.. several things really. But.. but it ain't easy to ask." He bit his lip nervously though he tried to remind himself again that Vickery did not bite and would not bite him like a dog either!

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:13 pm

"Of course you may ask," Vickery replied. "I will do my best to answer your questions." Of course, depending on the question, Pye might not like the answer, but there was no harm in allowing the lad to at least ask.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

"..Sir. Firs'... well this'un is not'in bad but as you've seen I have this'un chick. And...I'd like if she could be 'ppointed and marked as.. as our property. So that no officer from 'nother regiment or t' provosts comes and claims she was stolen." He hesitated and looked up. "So's she's protected...sir. Couse she'll serve 't' rifles soon. She'um.. going to lay eggs for us so ..so she'll be good." The little chick was oblivious of this request, only she found it a sudden great interest, to try getting onto of Vickery's leg where the view would be much better than down , so close to the ground. This she of course attempted to accomplish, though with less success.

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Vickery chuckled and reached down to the chick, carefully picking her up and lifting her up to his knee, so she could see things properly.

"I have to admit that I have never heard of such an arrangement, Zachary," he said. "I will see what I can do, though." Fresh eggs would be good, though Vickery doubted she would ever lay more than one in a day, and even then, it could get tricky on the march.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:23 pm

"It'd be... great if it were possible sir. I don't ..don't want her taken away couse somebody decided she was stolen. 'couse she's not. She was laid from an egg that was a gift. " He hastened to say then appeared much more hesitant to begin his next inquiry. "..Sir, do... do yer trust me, capn'?"

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Vickery considered the question. It was a serious question that demanded a serious answer. "You have done some things that I could wish you had not done. You have been punished for that, of course, and I hope that you learned your lesson from that punishment." He sipped his tea, to give himself time to think. "I trust my men, until and unless they show me, by their actions, that I cannot trust them, that my trust in them was misplaced."

He lowered the cup and looked over at Pye, a serious look on his face. "Have you done something to betray my trust in you, then?"

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm

"I've done something, sir. That might be thought as betrayal...were it done in that sense and with the mind for it. For others sir." He hastened. "It might've been thought that, only..in my mind I've never done it.. it was." He paused again. "I wore sum'thin I was not proud of..and made me friends believe something... that was untrue so that we could find a way to return to our army.. sooner." He hesitated. "...'twas like...like sum'thin pretending to be somethin else but still being that somethin'." Ok, that was a horrendous example if he ever thought of any. "..m' heart ..sir. it was loyal.. always." He felt his throat become unnaturally dry.

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Vickery had heard something of the story already from Cotton, but part of his reason for visiting with Pye like this was to get Pye's side of the story too. "Are we talking about what you did when you were with the French?" he asked carefully, wanting to make sure they were both talking about the same thing.

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Pye looked like a child that had been found with his hand in the candy jar, and just saw the disappointed look on his mother's face. The fact he had not known his own mother, had played no role in the distinct emotion of guilt. "...Yes, sir. 'tis about that...'zactly." He whispered quietly. He turned to look at his mug, stirring the tea inside listlessly.

"..wot'.. wot' did you hear, sir?" For, to ask such a question, the captain must have heard part of the story. Since Cotton was his batman, this was only more certain.

Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:01 pm

"I have only heard one side of the story, and that was from someone who was unaware of why you were doing it - although you can be sure he was very certain in his own mind why you were doing it, but his thoughts may not match up with your own ideas."

He indicated Pye's tin cup. "Don't forget your tea, it would be a shame for that to go to waste." He stroked the fluff on the chick's head with a finger. "I heard that you put on French uniform, making everyone think that you had deserted to join the French. Cotton grudgingly admitted that it may have been to help plan an escape."

Last edited by John Vickery on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing words round!! :D)

John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top