Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
29th May - morning, after breakfast EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

29th May - morning, after breakfast

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

29th May - morning, after breakfast Empty 29th May - morning, after breakfast

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 pm

As soon as Woodmarsh was called away to his duties, whatever they were, Jenny approached his servant Christian who had been assigned as her protector. Did she detect some resentment?

"Poor Christian," she said, linking her arm in his as he was trying to pack the lieutenant's things. "You don't mind staying with me, do you? To protect me from rough and dangerous fellows while we march?"
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Species : Camp follower, 60th Rifles
Number of posts : 1026

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jenny-

Back to top Go down

29th May - morning, after breakfast Empty Re: 29th May - morning, after breakfast

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Continuing to pack with one hand, Christian did his best to hide his irritation and mumbled something noncommittal.

"Any particular 'rough and dangerous fellows'?" he asked after a moment, extricating his arm from hers.
outis
Commander

Species : Sofa Monster
Number of posts : 1700

Back to top Go down

29th May - morning, after breakfast Empty Re: 29th May - morning, after breakfast

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 pm

She began to help him by folding blankets from the cot. "Naturally. Didn't you see my bruises when you came in earlier and got an eyeful? Or I could show you now." She gave him a grin, looking to see if he was warming up at all. "Don't be so glum, dearie. We should be friends."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:12 pm

He remembered. Vividly. Colouring slightly, he shrugged. It wasn't that he disliked Jenny; he simply disliked being assigned as personal bodyguard to his officer's mistress. He was a soldier, not a bloody watchdog. And from what he had seen of her, he did not like to think of what the aforementioned "rough and dangerous fellows" would do to him when he got in the way.

"You don't have to do that, you know, " he said, taking one of the folded blankets from her.
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 pm

"I know," she said amiably as she continued. "I just want to help." But she stopped anyway and sat down on the cot. "To be honest, there are some rough and dangerous fellows who'd like to do for me, some provosts. Or former provosts. Now they've been returned to the ranks, or whatever it's called. Returned to their regiments. Your lieutenant was at their court martial last night."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Provosts. Provosts that had just been convicted and would be out for revenge. "Oh, bloody brilliant," he burst out, before remembering that there was some sort of rule about swearing in front of women and mumbling a hasty apology. "What'd you do to run afoul of them, then?"
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:40 pm

"Nothing. Wrong place at the wrong bloody time," she said with a bit of a grin. "But I'd hate to run afoul of them again. That's why I need a lieutenant on my side." It made sense to be honest about that at least.
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:46 pm

"Yeah? Well, looks like you're stuck with me. Guess we'll both just have to make the best of it."

He turned away then, stuffing items into their appropriate receptacles with slightly more force than was necessary.
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:50 pm

"But that's even better. A lieutenant and his batman." She returned to her absent helpfulness, folding up chairs and putting things away in the wrong places. "Anyway, you're probably a sight better at protecting a person if it comes to a scrap. I know Woodmarsh has never seen action, in spite of his bold tales."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 pm

It wasn't exactly a compliment, but her comment nonetheless soothed his wounded pride -- to some degree. At least he had ceased to take it out on his master's bedding. He managed a smirk, "Aye, that's right. God help whatever lads it is Trevor's given him."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:07 pm

"Amen to that," Jenny replied. She watched him for a minute, sitting on the cot again until it was time for him to dismantle it. "He must trust you quite a lot."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Christian paused in the act of packing away Woodmarsh's shaving kit and considered this. "Some, aye, I s'pose. Though I dunno as officers every really trust anyone what ain't paid through the arse for some lace on his coat."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:23 pm

That made her laugh. "People never think about servants. Even if they think they don't trust them, who is it that serves their food and cleans their clothes and does the shopping with their money? Servants have to mind them like children."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Christian grinned at that. He had little difficulty picturing Woodmarsh as a child, strutting about in his uniform, playing with his toy soldiers.

"You speak from experience?"
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:38 pm

"I have some experience, yes," she said with a grin. "And a lot of experience with men who act like children. They can't be trusted to handle their own money, for example. You never catch them going to market with a basket on their arm. I suppose that task falls to you, does it, Christian?"
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:01 am

He nodded ruefully, "No basket, mind."

Making a mental tally of the wine bottles as he packed them away, he grimaced. That was going to be a problem. "You wouldn't happen to know if there's anyone in the regiment who supplies, ah... specialty items?"
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:40 am

"You don't?" she asked skeptically. "Honestly, what sort of batman are you? Try Nat Bird with the 27th. Depending on what you're looking for."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:57 am

Christian glanced sharply at her, but she had given him a name, so he bit back his retort. He had known someone, but that was before Woodmarsh had been transferred to Trevor's regiment. It seemed she expected him to simply intuit these details on account of his position. He shook his head. She was starting to sound like Woodmarsh (though, he admitted grudgingly, Woodmarsh would not have been able to recommend Nat Bird from the 27th).
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 am

"I'll introduce you if you like. Or there's a fellow who follows the 33rd, name of Ezekiel something. But he's a bit of a fright. I'd go for Nat if you want discretion. What sort of specialty items are you looking for?"
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:40 am

"Wine an' spirits is the main thing," he said, checking to make sure the bottles were sufficiently padded so there would be no breakage. "The Frogs are the least o' my problems if those run out." He thought a moment, "Sometimes food you can't get through the regular channels. And God knows what else'll take his fancy now he's got you to think of."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:07 am

She smothered a smile at the last comment. "Well I know a few regular sutlers too if it comes to that. The bottles won't run out until his money runs out, and even then there are some who take credit. But surely you get to reap the rewards as well? I imagine you have to taste everything yourself, to make sure it's good enough for your master."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:21 am

Christian struggled to maintain a straight face. "Oh, o'course. Got to make sure the first rate stuff he's payin' for ain't just swill in a fancy bottle. No way to tell wi'out tastin' it, though, right? Got to look out for him that way, like."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 am

"I thought so. I could tell you were a batman of quality. It seems we both want the same thing." She paused and gave him an innocent look. "I mean to make your lieutenant happy. I hope we can help each other to that aim."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:49 am

A business arrangement, was it, then? He hesitated, wondering if there might be some kind of trap in the offer. It made sense though. As the lieutenant went, so went his batman, and he assumed the same held true of someone in Jenny's position. If Woodmarsh was happy, things would be considerably easier for the both of them.

He nodded. "A'right. I dun' see why not."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 am

"Then we're agreed!" she laughed. "I'm so glad. It will make both of our lives so much easier. Like parents raising a child. Or like managers of his estate."
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next